alarm problems on the ZX!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxb29
My Cars:

alarm problems on the ZX!

Post by zxb29 »

Hi Folks
got my zx on the road and the alarm is doing my head in, it just decides to go off after 20-30 mins.
I cant be bothered to fix it, so id rather jus switch the damn thing off so i can still use the remote fob.
i cant find a key switch anywhere.... any ideas how i can disable the alarm.
there seems to be a unit near the passenger side front wing but i dont fancy removing this to have a look
any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

On my old 306 there was a key unit under the bonnet near the battery, Same for ZX?
On my ZX there's an alarm switch-off buttom just below and to the right of the steering wheel in a switch cluster.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Hi,
I've just stripped down an N reg ZX for parts, it had a factory fit alarm, and found the alarm sounder mounted to the front valance under the driver side headlamp (behind the bumper).
The blighter went of when I disconnected it, I found the best way to stop the noise was a decent screwdriver and a big hammer. There only plastic.[:)]
If you have a key operated switch in the front under the bonet your ignition key may fit, it not, get that screwdriver again and using a bit of force (mole grip or the like) turn the key slot with it.
Hope this helps.
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

in my m reg zx the switch was jus near the driver side headlight but in this one i cant seem to locate a switch just the unit in the pass side wing.
Also the headlights flash everytime the alarm goes off which drains the battery
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

You can remove the control unit and the remote central locking will still work ok, thats what I did when mine went faulty.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Ah,
Right, another approach. If you can have a look under the bumper in front of the passenger side wing you my find the unit there. Being it sounds like a aftermarket job it may have the disarm key lock actually on the alarm itself.
Forgot to say in my last reply, only use force if its just an alarm. If it's and alarm and immobiliser, that's what you may be, immobilised.
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

i think it just controls the alarm as there is a keypad imobilizer inside near the gearstick.
ill have a look tommorow morning, jus hope it dont rain.
finish work at 7.30pm today so itl be dark by the time i get home...
thanks for all the advice
oldnail
My Cars:

Post by oldnail »

If its a three door SX the alarm contol unit is behind the panel under the passenger side rear window.Remove the torx screws that hold the panel in place pull the panel clear you will see the unit attached to the car body by three more screws.remove the unit, pull off the two multi plugs,problem solved.Everything else still works the same ie cental locking etc but no more annoying false alarms.You can now either fit a decent aftermarket alarm or just use the keypad immobilizor.I would'nt waste hours trying to get the original to work properly as it will always let you down in the end.We've had a '97 TD SX from new and the alarm has never been 100% reliable from day one.Bin it!!!!!!!!
Apart from that the best car I have ever owned.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You don't need an alarm on a ZX its nondescript appearance has a built in deterent factor.. heh heh.. [;)] [:D]
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

OK i had a look today weather was good but too good to do any work on the car so will leave it till tommorow.
On the side if u you remove the indicator lamp there is a torq screw and a look from the bottom shows 2 nuts prob 10mm holding it place. can i remove this bolts/screws and slide the unit out or will the wing have to come off. OldNail its a 5 door SX and yes its a really nice car. sounds more like a petrol then a diesel. but i miss my nippy turbo diesel aura :-(
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Look under the front passenger seat.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

It might vary according to model, but on the SX -- at least, on one that's "R" registration and UK model -- pulling apart a connection to the box located under the passenger seat is what takes the "alarm" bit out while leaving the rest of the locking system as it was.
oldnail
My Cars:

Post by oldnail »

If you just want to disconnect the siren remove the nearside sidelight, look up between inner and outer wing and you can see a multiplug.Remove plug with suitable long screwdriver and this disconnects the siren.Then if the alarm goes off just the lights flash.You may also find the red neon under the clock stays on all the time,mine did.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Trouble is, even with the noise disabled if the lights keep flashing then the battery goes flat....
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

Still not had time to do it been to busy at work. 2 questions
Forth - will this still let me use the keyfob to open doors ?
Oldnail - Ive thougt of that but lights keep flashing before i try to remove that box, does it have a key slot to turn it off ?