Heater matrix clip on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peteev
My Cars:

Heater matrix clip on Xantia

Post by peteev »

Desperate for help! First posting.
Have had a 95 1.9TD Xantia(no air-con) for 2 years and fixed most of the usual problems thanks to this forum.
Now the dreaded heater matrix has failed. Spent more than a day removing the facia and am now stuck on removing the clip that holds the two heater matrix pipes onto the bulkhead. Reading some of the other postings it seems I probably have the later clip(it is a metal one with a right angle bend at the end). My question is..how do you actually remove this clip. I have tried pushing a screwdriver down the side, bending it left and right, wiggling it etc etc and can't think what else to do to get it off.
Grateful for any suggestions
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I know exactly how you feel, I ended up breaking the plastic housing trying to get it off.
The best way I found, (after struggling to get it back on properly) although it may be too late for you is to try and release it whilst the engine is warm.
You don't have to remove the metal clip, but just to get it to move to one side in order to pull the housing off.
With turbo engines removing the turbo pipe that runs across the back of the engine will make it much easier to gain access.
peteev
My Cars:

Post by peteev »

Richard, Many thanks for your answer, I didn't realize that it is not necessary to remove the metal clip. Yes it is rather too late now to warm up the heater. Looking at some of the other postings it seems a good idea to start the heater matrix removal whilst the engine is still warm by removing these pipes as the first task. Tomorrow morning I will have another go to try pulling the pipes off. Let you know how it goes.
I baulk at removing the turbo pipe, you mean the metal one presumably and not the plastic one that goes along the top of the metal manifold which is easily moved to one side?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Having now worked on both turbo and non turbo Xantias, the difference in difficulty of removing the heater connection is almost entirely dependant on removing those turbo pipes that run acros the back of the engine. Just take a look at a 1.8/2.0 16v petrol and you will see what I mean.
As it is, on a turbo you need to have very flexible/strong arms/grip to get this connection off.
How far gone on the dismantling side of things have you gone? Can you not still start the car with the dash out?
If you can, get it warmed up so that some pressure has bulit up in the system then (whilst wearing THICK gloves!!) use that pressure to push the connector out with a certain amount of 'easing'.
Bear in mind that the heater connector housing/hose costs over £75 so you need to be careful!!
When it comes to refitting it, locate the rubber seals in the matrix and coat them with vaseline. You may also need to heat the engine up with the connector not properly located in order to be able to push it fully home.
Good luck, not a nice job