Citroen Xantia Key/housing/plip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pantherd90

Citroen Xantia Key/housing/plip

Post by pantherd90 »

Got a quick query about the Xantia Key and plip, (black infrared one, key folds into the plip). I've got a 1993 model, I'm hoping to replace the plip with a new one and change the key over, any idea how to take the key out of the old one and fit it in a new (most likely bought off Ebay as everywhere else overcharges..) plip.. doesn't appear to be any way to get in out of the old fitting.
Another question relating to the key, is does anyone know where I can get another plip or even just the inards, to me it looks little more than a remote control and yet Citroen want £50+ to replace it..
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

You need to drill out the rivet then get a 'fitting kit' from Citroen for about £1.50 which includes a new rivet and spring clip.
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

How exactly do you drill in out, just take a power drill with a normal drill fitting to the metal screw like part (which has a small hole in it but not one that can be unscrewed in any way).
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Yes and you have to use a smaller drill than the rivet (the screw thing) that way you dont damage the key or any of the other parts.
Andy
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

You don't need to drill out the rivet.
It is split in the middle, and if you ease the cheeks of the fob apart about 3mm, the rivet jut pops apart, and can be re-used. Be careful not to mark the plastic.