dirt in xantia spheres hyd system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bh_2_5

dirt in xantia spheres hyd system

Post by bh_2_5 »

I got the rear spheres re-gassed lately but apparently there still is an imbalance between them. It was suggested that there might be dirt stuck in the reed valves. Is there an easy way to clean the dirt from these?
(Xantia, 1.9D 120,000miles).
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Reed valves? What are you driving, a bloody Clarinet?
I think you may have to help us out with this one.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I really don't know what stories you've been told, but over here spheres are regassed more often than they're replaced due to prices we get charged. A 15 UK pound sphere over there can cost A$275 over here as an example, but "dirt in the spheres" and "Reed valves" are two things nigh on impossible to occur unless the sphere has been dropped on the ground in the dirt and refitted without wiping over; highly unlikely. The reason being that the hydraulics are in a fairly sterile environment and have filters all over the place to get rid of any dirt before it gets into the system.
If there is an imbalance, it would have to be that the spheres were not gassed to an equal pressure or that one has ruptured the membrane.
Spheres should be tested prior to regassing and if less than 50% pressure, chances are that they will not successfully regas. It can happen that they will appear to be holding immediately after regassing, but as soon as put into service will fail.
GSF sell spheres brand new for about and sometimes less than the cost some charge to regas and in reality, this would be your better option.
Alan S
bh_2_5

Post by bh_2_5 »

Thanks Dan and Alan, from what you are saying the answer is ideally to replace them. Main dealers here will not regass spheres and charge Euro 250 to replace the two rear ones, this is why I got them regassed for Euro 100 by a mechanic to get it through its NCT = MOT = RWC which it failed due to the imbalance, the only fault with the car. I own the car from new, 1995, so I was wondering does the oil require changing at any stage. Is there any web site that has a schematic etc of the system with an explanation? Seems the mechanic has just told me rubbish. I think I'll get that special tool from Pleiades UK and the spheres from GSF Dublin and do the job myself.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

If you haven't changed the oil since 1995 then the answer to that question is no. The car would be scrao anyway and not worth the cost of the oil :) However I assume you meant the LHM fluid which should be changed regularly. Someone else should be able to advise you better but if it has gone yellow then its well over due.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm just going out at present (other side of the World remember)[:D][:D]but when I get back later on today, I'll post a few links for you to look at if someone else doesn't beforehand.
Alan S