LED side light `bulb’

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sbraud
My Cars:

LED side light `bulb’

Post by sbraud »

Gravitated into Halfrauds at the weekend in that `don’t need anything… I wonder what’s new in the auto eye-candy line’ and picked up some side bulb LEDs. At £9.99 for 2, they weren’t cheap, but thought `it’s pay day soon, what the hell!’’ [:p]
They’re made up of four bright LEDs per `bulb’. I put them in front side lights and WOW... Intense brilliant white light that make by main beam look yellow in comparison. If only I could get the same white light on main beam without burning out the eyes on oncoming drivers ?? !!
Cheers
Steve
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

are they road legal? i didnt think any were yet?
Unfortunatly the only option at the moment is HID's for the xantia and its not cheep i have some one who will sell me all 4 hids needed for the xantia at £500! The visual diference is very good and makes driving at night far easyer.
Andy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You easily tell if they are street legal - check the "bulb" for an <E>.
HID are great if you're sitting behind them - less fun if your sitting in front or coming in the opposite direction . .
//NiSk
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

HID's are also the way that all lights will go soon, so we may as well get use to it. also because i sit up high in the car (6ft9) i think the hids dont bother me, ive never been blinded by a set i get more annoyed by morons not turning the high beams off and using there fog lights when they dont need them.
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You can tell it's a C5 coming on you - on it's HID flickering light intensity [8D]
Clear light LED's are still quite expensive for the home electronics - but still fun to do up "bulbs" as they have a remarkable light output for the same power the replaced bulb took up.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Doesw it really matter in this day & age weather the sidlights are 'e' marked I mean when was the last time you were pulled over so the police office or the guy at the MOT station could check your lights & bulbs are 'e' marked?
Shop around as you can get 'white' headlights bulbs, I bought some Phillips Vison Plus's for my old white ZX cos being white it made the headlight look very yellow, I was so impreesed I've just ordered another 2 sets for the green machine & a set for the foggys as well as a set for bro's 306
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

You can get a wide range of LED "bulbs" from www.ultraleds.com
A good deal cheaper than Halfrauds I think.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

there are usually masses on ebay too!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I used an LED bulb on the dash of my 2cv. I can actually see the speedo at night now! Has a goulish green glow too...
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

After reading these posts thought I would invest in some LED's ..... very impressive, think I will do interior lights as well and certainly the boot light which is pathetic....wonder how easy to do dash lights hmmmm
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Thanks guys [;)] and Brilec for LED link… Wow what a site !! [:D]
I’m not usually interested in `tarting’ my Xant as I like to keep her original, as is possible, but have to admit I’m impressed by these LED bulb repayments… Brighter, whiter light in a form that will outlast conventional bulbs and use less power !!??
Seems too good to be true… so is there a down side ??
Cheers
Steve
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

the light is highly directional thats the only disadvantage and that at the moment there still not E marked (we got pulled less than a month ago and one of the things that the police oficer checked was that the front side lites werent leds (you can tell because there are 4 definate light sources with these replacements). they got us because one of the dipped lights had blown when we started the car at home, and instead of replacing it there and then we quickly nipped out to the shops!
Andy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Several manufactures of new cars are now using LEDs for side and tail lamps (yellow and red) - including Peugeot. However I have yet to see a LED front sidelight as OEM . .
//NiSk
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Ref the ultraleds site, I clicked on "headlamps" and got lamps you strap on your head!