Xantia radio (driving me up the wall)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Xantia radio (driving me up the wall)

Post by Nomad »

Hi all
I have a 95 Xantia 1.8i, with what i would say is a standard key-code radio from Citroen.
For the last month or so it will not hold on a radio station, well only a couple.
It scans and finds the stations but will not hold them, it will just carry on scanning to the next one,the couple it will hold are not my cup of tea, even if i use the memory buttons, it will go to the stored one then start scanning.
Does any body know what is wrong with it? and have a fix for it?
Now if it is no good i will buy a new one, but as i can not afford to spend a lot of money on one i realise that i will loose the steering wheel controls, this i can live with, the the bloody big hole it will leave in my fascia i can't live with.
Can you buy a fascia plate or something to fill the hole, if so is it a Citroen part or a 3rd party part.
What sort of price range would i be looking at to keep the steering wheel controls, and what make of radio would work with them.
Thanks for any help on this
Tony
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Have you tried turning off 'AF' (Alternative Frequency)?
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Does it loose the settings when it's turned off or just straight after you've stored them??
Ebay would probably be the best place for a Xantia radio, just took a look and there a 5 for sale on there at the moment.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

ive got one here you can have asuming i can find one with a code i know (non of our 5 xantias have the original radio we cant live with out a cd player)!
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi all
Thanks for the replies.
Ok today was the first time i thought i would start pressing buttons on the thing, i don't know what half off them do, but i pressed the "VF" and it is now fine, i don't know what VF stands for, but it is a German registered car, so it could stand for something German, although the rest off the buttons are in English.
But anyway it seems to be sorted now.
ActivaV6uk thanks for the offer of the radio, if mine still plays up i will contact you, cheers
Thanks all
Tony
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If 'VF' is the button on the far right of the preset buttons then you have found the 'AF' I mention above.
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi
Well it is on the far left of the presets on mine, but i guess that it is the same thing, i did not think that they would go to as much detale as left & right hand drive radios :-))
Thanks
Tony
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

Had the same problem or similar (mine keeps defaulting to some stations set back in 2000... in an entirely different area of the country..) someone told me to check the 12v continuous flow, give that a go if it's causing problems. What model is it?
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

VF is for something like Verersfunk (not spelled correctly) which is an old German trafficinfo system. So you set was looking for German traffic info the time! and not findin any it kept on until it recieved new orders. like you turning VF of.
If it stil does not find stationsm you need to check the antennais plugged on teh back properly. at onetie they used a very cheap nasty right angle adaptor which kept falling off the back of the radio
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Check the lead connection to the aerial in the roof as mine was loose and displayed the same symptoms. Some idiot had twisted the aerial as a prank and this caused the connection to slacken.
Access to it is through the interior panel in the headlining. It is a bit of keyhole surgery, though.