Diesel Pump Question (Dave Burns?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Diesel Pump Question (Dave Burns?)

Post by Jon »

Hi
The engine that I'm going to be putting in my BX has a Lucas pump. My spare engine has a Bosch, which I'd prefer to use. I couldn't see that there would be a problem in changing pump and injectors to the Bosch system, which I much prefer, but the Bosch pump I have has a device on the front of it (which I guess is some sort of cold running device) which is linked by 2 water pipes to the thermostat housing. In addition the pump has the normal cold start cable device.
As my new engine is the later type with plastic thermohousing, I wouldn't be able to connect the Bosch pump as it is at the moment on the other engine.
Question is, what is the device in question, and could I do without it? [?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Thats an oldish pump then Jon, it is an Idle speed device and if you look you should see that it works directly on the accelerator lever on top of the pump.
Can you swop the housing to keep it as it is, probably wont make a lot of difference when cold running if you lose it though.
Dave
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you decide to fit the bosch pump you will have to fit the injector pipes that go with it or you will find that as the injection order is different and the engine wont run - Guess how I Know!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Your pump sounds like mine Jon. It has two separate cold start devices. The one at the front that is actuated by the water pipes advances the injection timing a few degrees until the engine warms up. The other device at the back (top)of the pump is actuated by the cable from the thermostat housing and increases the idle speed when the engine is cold.
On mine the front device was not returning properly when warm resulting in a clattery idle because the pump timing was slightly advanced all the time. I just adjusted the cable a bit to fix it. I suspect you could do without it altogether as I had mine disconnected for a while and noticed no ill effects.