It only takes one idiot to ruin your day!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sbraud
My Cars:

It only takes one idiot to ruin your day!!

Post by sbraud »

I was driving home from work on Easter Day, yes I know it was Easter but guess who drew the short straw – AGAIN !! Anyway, there I was driving home, when I noticed a slight wobble and worn bearing type noise from front N/S wheel.
My mood was not helped by what I discovered. The only bolt holding wheel in place was security lock nut. The other three were less than finger tight and about to be lost to the A2. Stood there cursing the s** of a b**ch who’d tried to swipe front wheel… when I came over all wobbly – What if I’d had the family in the back !! Now that made me boiling mad !! [:0][:(!][xx(]
On the bright side… security bolt worth every penny and no damage done!! [;)]
OK rant over !!
Thanks
Steve
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="6">TELL ME ABOUT IT </font id="size6"></font id="Book Antiqua">[:(!]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

at least you court it, my mum had this happend when she was at uni and I remember how upset she was at the time (she only traveld 2 miles and all but one of the bolts were out).
Andy
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

One electric sensor on each wheel, in this case, would be helpful.
As one bold would start to lose contact, a red light would turn on at the cockipt meaning "Check the wheel bolds!".
Simple, unexpensive, and quite safe.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Had this happen on a Fiat X1/9 once. The front N/S wheel parted company with the car. It felt like nothing more than a slightly out of balance wheel, like I'd shed a wheel balance weight (not difficult as they were the stick-on kind). That was until it parted company completely, and I was left with a brake-disc on the road. Gentle braking from 60mph down to stop, but the brake-disc on the road locked solid, and wore away about 2" from the diameter!
quick run up the road to collect the loose wheel from the hedge (VERY glad it didn't hit anything else!) and shove it back on the car, having located 2 wheel bolts from the road, and robbed another from the other front wheel! 22miles back home barely using the brakes, and shoved a spare brake disc on the car and 2 more wheel bolts. Right. We'll try that journey again shall we?!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Makes you wonder though, at what point did these thieving scum bags figured out there was a locking wheel nut? You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it at the first go. And then if you don't surley to God you'd notice that 1 of the nuts is different?
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Steve, (figured it was you), I checked the cctv again from different angles, (just in case) no joy, park next to me and we'll keep an eye on both of them!
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Like `fastandfurryous' I have a dream… No nightmare, in which I'm being overtaken by my own wheel. I can’t recall the rest... probably for the best!! [:0][xx(]
Funny thing Stuart, is that day one of my wheels had no lock nut. Got it back on real quick! Just glad oik was not the smartest… my luck was in that day![:o)]
Tony, `It's a small world after all!’ Thanks for the cctv yesterday. It was a long shot but worth a look and appreciated. If I can return the favour… you know where I am.[;)][:D]
Cheers
Steve