Shakin' all over.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Shakin' all over.

Post by alan s »

If anyone has friends in Indonesia, I'd suggest giving them a call ASAP.
Apparently at 2am today, they copped another big earthquake according to the yanks 8.7 on the Richter; last one on Boxing Day was 8.5 as a comparison.
To date, all deaths reported have been on an island that was 20klms from the epicentre and at this stage are being counted in the tens but as with the last one, there's islands that they can't contact including one that the Surfers use in great numbers, and some of these were hard to contact last time and were the ones with the biggest tolls.
As yet, no Tsunami has hit, but it appears that everybody hit the high ground as soonas it happened.
Usually a tremor lasts a few seconds but they reckon this big bugger shook like all hell for just on two minutes. Not nice.
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It's now on the rise again; not looking good.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=12828
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Another little bit of knowledge that's emerged that I thought was interesting.
There was no Tsunami after this one even though it was a more intense quake than the last one. (Although at one stage they were monitoring the possibility of a small one reaching Australia) Reason being, that this one cracked basically at right angles to the last one which meant the force would have been dissipated in the open ocean rather than running towards land.
Still in the dark as to casualties with 350 - 2000 being the educated guess but with many warnings of aftershocks.
Why am I posting this on a French car forum? Well this is in the general area where the French did underground nuclear tests at Muraroa Atoll a few years ago and so far a few questions have been asked as to whether these tests have had any bearing on these weird events.
If it starts to become an issue, involvement with French cars (particularly Citroens) becomes a very risky business in Australia. Last time it happened, dealers went broke as did repairers and even distributors had to wind back operations, so here's hoping it all just fades away.
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thats an interesting theory re: the French underground nuclear tests. I hadn't remembered about Mururoa Atoll until you posted that.
Nice of them to set off a mere 178 nuclear bombs there, eh.
http://www.ace.net.au/darkmoon/mururoa.htm