Learning French

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Learning French

Post by martyhopkirk »

My French Vocab is hopeless. I can order a beer, pancake and an ice cream but apart from that its pretty non existant.
So in a desire to understand my car better, and to stop me speaking English in a very loud voice.... I have found these - and had a little bid...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
Anybody else tried these tapes before? are they any good?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

If you can find them get the Michael Thomas tapes! There a totally different way of learning a language and much more like being in a small class of people and learning with them. My dad drives round with it playing all the time and both my mum and dad have leanrt a lot VERY quickly!
Rather than learning set pieces you learn structure and order first, and it's broken down so that not only are you learning the structure along with some phrases, you also realise just how easy it is to learn as most of english is the same!
They have them in Costco but im not sure where else you might get one?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Did a French GCSE at my local college last year and we used the BBC 'TALK FRENCH' CD's (or tapes). There's a programme on BBC 2 that you can tape and / or follow the small work book included in the pack. I personally did the class room work where you go over the work book and then repeated while listening to the CD's in the car. I can now read French no problems but speaking is still a little rusty. Mind you not bad for a 30 somthing who dropped French aged 13.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I can get a 'pencil sharpener' in spanish
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I think her name was Chantelle......
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

My French Vocab is hopeless. I can order a beer, pancake and an ice cream but apart from that its pretty non existant.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Marty
I have serious concerns about your diet! ;)
Eh bien - chacun a son gout!
A bientot
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The AA used to have a useful vocabulary and pictures for just about every obscure car part you could think of in the back of the 5 star rescue package for driving abroad, thats where I learned that 'mon Pompee d'embreyage en failent' or however its spelt, means 'my clutch master cylinder has failed'-for which, surprisingly, Kennings motors Cannes branch actually had a seal kit on the shelf for- 'pour le Austin Allegro'!!!![:0]
One more useful word you need- frites.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I think I may even have one of these booklets somewhere - with a fetching picture of an Austin Maestro on the front.....
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLM</i>

I think I may even have one of these booklets somewhere - with a fetching picture of an Austin Maestro on the front.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And they say the camera cannot lie!