Replacing clutch - tips?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niek
My Cars:

Replacing clutch - tips?

Post by Niek »

I need to replace the clutch on my 2L 16v xm (BE3 box). I want to do it myself but am a little worried about it. Could anyone give me any tips/tricks to make it easier or at least allow me to decide to let the garage do it??
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I don't know specifically about the XM, but removing a BE3 gearbox is reasonably straightforward. The major short-cut that can be taken is not to remove the Right-hand (long) driveshaft. It can simply be left in place, and the gearbox removed from it. When re-fitting, you simply ensure that the gearbox is engaging on both the input shaft, and the driveshaft.
It makes it a lot easier if you have some form of overhead support for the gearbox, as it makes it easy to line things up, and removes the danger aspect of having the gearbox up on blocks/jacks. I dropped a BE1/5 from an old Talbot on my leg when changing a clutch about 10 years ago. I still have the scar. Note to self: Don't do that again!
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

The main thing that can make it difficult is access. If you can get to it then there are 4 bolts to undo and the engine mount then the gearbox slides out. It's good to have some sort of trolley to roll it sideways on or a proper engine crane. A trolley jack will do if that's all you've got. Check there is room to move it about 10-12cm outwards to get it off the gearbox input shaft. The hardest part is usually getting the driveshaft bolt off if you haven't done it before. You need a _big_ lever. The clutch replacement part is trivial once you have the gearbox off. Just make sure it's aligned properly (centered) so the the input shaft goes back into place properly on reassembly. It's always a bit of pain lining things up on reassembly if doing it with the engine in the car.