strut return pipes - what are they for??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

strut return pipes - what are they for??

Post by wonderd »

According to you guys, we can lubricate the struts through their pipes, right?
Where do they get their oil from? why do they leak if there is no oil in them to start with?
I have one side which those pipes leak from their connection to the strut, but the struts are hard anyways - i need to lube them.
Elad.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The internal seals in the struts are not designed to make a perfect seal, a little LHM is meant to get past and lubricate things then return to the reservoir via the rubber pipe system, the "suckung up" method works very well (I did mine yesterday)as for the leak on the strut I suggest you replace the clip holding the return rubber with a large hose clip, remove the whole rubber first (I cut the existing clip using a sharp Chisel)clean things up and re-use the stainless shaped piece to keep the rubber in shape.
Stewart
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My experience has been that replacing the return hose arrangement on a BX is a waste of time. If its got so bad that the return hose blows its fixing off (which is what happens) then the strut needs overhauling or replacing. Overhaul kits are available from Citroen but are not particularily cheap and a new strut is really the answer. Incidentally new ones don't creak and groan and make a world of difference to the ride.
In fact if you replace the hose it will simply blow off again.
jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have one leaking from the strut connection but there is no flow through the returns, its just an imperfect seal, when I get around to it I will re seal it and fit a hose clip instead of the stainless thing, when I took the return pipes off the body end to lube the strut some old watery looking LHM dribbled out so obviously no significant return flow there, I agree a knackered strut will blow off the returns but that does not sound like Wonderds problem
Stewart
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Thank you all, i will open it this weekend and lube it through those return hoses, maybe i will take the leaking hoses off, clean them and put them back.
the struts are too hard lately - i feel every bump on the road, i hope it will fix it for now.
Elad.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

The suspension must be soft enough to be moved up/down comfortably using your hands (both). If it is not and the car feels rocky, my first step would be checking/refilling/replacing front spheres.
As for the overflows, hose clip works fine, one needs four hands to re-clip the original stainless thingie.