BX Strut Lube

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

BX Strut Lube

Post by oilyspanner »

Today I lubed the front struts on the BX using the method via the leak off pipes, I used about 50ml of LHM each side, when I removed the pipes some milky looking LHM dribbled out so I thought that it might not make much difference..I WAS WRONG the slight squeaking/creaking has gone and the rise is far more supple, it prompted me to raise the ride height at the back again[:D] If anyones bored try it!
Stewart
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I wasn't convinced either, until I tried it last week. It made a hell of a differance! As you say no more creaks and more supple. Only problem I have now is it's made me realise how shot the front spheres are......
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Don't forget to drop the gaitor at the top on both sides and grease it in there too.
The internal method and the external both work reasonably well, but to do one without the other still leaves them vulnerable to return to what they were much quicker than doing both.
Alan S
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

What kind of grease Alan, anything special?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I normally use silicone grease (bit expensive, but good stuff) however I had to do one the other day (the affectionately named "Evil BX") and used a lithium based greas.
I have been advised a Moly is not suitable and have been told by a guy out here that the stuff used as gearbox additive supposedly works well but that wouldn't be real viable unless you were doing an oil change to your g/box and used a bit then.
It's real easy to do; just unclip the gaitor from the strut, pull it down and push it back up, wriggle and use the fingers to ease the dimples back into the holes in the strut top.
Alan S
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Okay everyone keeps going on about thsi 'sucking up' method of lubing the struts, but did i seriously miss something? First time i heard about this was when dave collected his bolts today, and now everyone seems to be doing it!
I WANNA PLAY!
someone tell me how??
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Remove roadwheel, place axle stand under wishbone near balljoint end, lower weight of car onto stand, place suspension in LOW, allow car to settle. pull rubber return pipes off at inboard end and clean ends, place about 50ml LHM in a small container (I used a plastic aerosol can top) start engine move height lever to HIGH position and quickly immerse rubber pipe ends in LHM, as the car rises the pipes suck up LHM, replace pipes refit wheel and ENJOY.
Stewart
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

but why are they leaking if there is not enough oil in them anyways??
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Cheers Stewart, dont think i'll really need to do this, mine seem to spew out enough LHM as it does round (both sides where split for ages!) might give it a go anyway though now i have special driveway degreaser!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The leak from the back is down to the rubber not seating on the strut body correctly, chances are that removal and refitting with a clean up of the general area will cure the leak from where the rubber meets the strut, failing that a new rubber is not expensive, I have had problems when cable ties are used in place of the supplies stainless strip (which I replace with a hose clip) Re enough oil in them, the oil in there is obviously not reaching the squeaking bits, the suck up method seems to get the oil to the right places.
Stewart
kiwichas
My Cars:

Post by kiwichas »

sucked it up, spat some out, only slight difference noted unfortunately, (should I rephrase??)
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

For lubing under the gaiter, I saturated a strip of towel with gearbox oil and then held it as a ring around the rod with a nylon cable tie. That way, oil seeps onto the rod continuously and keeps the wiper seal lubricated. Anticipate that it will be effective much longer than greasing.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

After a couple of hundred miles the difference is still noticeable, much more supple over bumps and does not groan when doing citaerobics, might try the strip of towel Peter Mann suggests, I am now bored having replaced driveshaft on the Volcane and tried to make some room for my ZX breaker car.
Stewart