Jacking a sunken Citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Jacking a sunken Citroen

Post by BrianM »

When the car is too low to get a jack underneath it and theres no way of lifting it, heres a way of getting it up.
Get a small bottle jack and one of those wheel wrenches with the long double ended sockets. Put the socket onto the wheel nut and the long socket has enough length out by the end of the wheel to use the bottle jack on it. When high enough you can get the trolley jack underneath no problem. Works well on the long headed wheel studs on the Xantia anyway [:)]!
Brian
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia SX TD ( headless, gearboxless .......)!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

But as long as the pump is working, you can attach an electric drill via a belt and pump it up!
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Or use a scissor jack - they are usually low enough.
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

Post by David Hallworth1 »

Those draper air bag jacks that they sell in Halfords for about £40 are a nice easy method of lifting a completely sunken Citroen!!
Regards
David.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

People need to be carfull with this, scissor jacks should not be used, I've had 2 very close calls with them and as some one pointed out in another post then are not meant to be used from the "almost" close position. I have to say I like the looks of the bag jacks its definatly a way to get the car lifted safly to begin with then use a trolly jack.
Vanny did you buy that lift? :)
Andy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

In my workshop I have numerous blocks of wood of varying sizes, in the event of having a flat citroen I assemble wooden blocks into a low ramp and drive/roll the car up it until I have enough space to get a trolley jack in, once the wooden blocks reach the end of their useful life they burn very well in my multifuel heating system.
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Scissor jacks work fine in an emergency, and thats usually what a flat citroen is- you only need to lift the car just enough to get a trolley jack under- I have done this a few times as flat hydragas cars have the same problem!!
They may not be meant for this use but they will work-I have an ex Honda one which seems better engineered than most cheapo scissors.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Tow bar? that my method anyways! (and i mean on my fancy new compact towbar, not the old scaffold one!
Andy no i didnt ge tthe lift, it was stolen with 6 seconds left at a mear £86! For those that don't know what im on about, there was a 3tonne 4 post lift on ebay about an hours drive from mine and i kinda had a place to put it up and use it! £86, i'm kinda gutted!
I do like the wooden ramp idea though!
Would it be possible to mount hydraulic jacks into the floor of a garage, similar to rally cars that self jack, but from the floor up?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A timber bar 2" x 4" 1.5m is usually more than enough to lever one side on the mid jacking point. Then gradually more wooden blocks under the end points.
Even worked on a dead CX (1250Kg) for me - but in another CX instance the sill was too rotten [:I]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Use auction sniper!
//NiSk
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Get two mates round to get lifting!
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

That works on a bx (can lift an engin less one on my own) but the xantia is a bit heavy even for 2 big guys! :)
Andy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

As said above, I've used the towbar ( lowest part ) before to raise the rear - chocking the jacking point as I go along on both sides with wood / brick to make it a litle more safe.
Then, when there is enough room, chock the towbar, remove the chocks from one side, and lower.
These bags are ok as long as you can start the car !