newbie Xantia TD questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ikilby
My Cars:

newbie Xantia TD questions

Post by ikilby »

Hi all,
firstly this forum is a godsend thank you all!
Ok I have bought a secondhand Xantia TD 1999 model, it had a cam belt change at 110000 and had full service history as it was a fleet car.
When I arrive home and turn off the car and lock it, the back sinks with a groaning moaning sound !!
Is that right??
I have now done 120,000 and think it is time for an oil change, and possibly a fuel filter change. Also the LHM looks quite black, should I change that as well?
Last night travelling up the M5 after doing around 70 miles, the ABS light has come on and will not go off at all, even it turining the car off and on....Is this a sensor or the ABS ECU?
I seem to end up doing 85 to 90 MPH on the motorway and doing this speed, I reckon I get about 500MPG is that about right?
Lastly, When I first got the car the temperature gauge was always on 80, now when travelling on motorway etc if I stay under 80Mph, then the temp is also at 80. If I do 85 upwards the gauge goes up to 90.
However, when reaching the high temp it never goes over, and if stationary the fans do cut in. Is that OK???
Sorry for all the questions??
PS Any good Citroen Garages near Walsall as I need to sort the ABS out and I am not that mechanical.
ikilby
My Cars:

Post by ikilby »

So do all Xantia sink and groan, is that normal?
Traveling at 85-90MPH on motorway I get aroun 500 Miles per tank...Wish it was per gallon...again is that right???
Do I have a temperature issue or is that normal?
Any advice on the ABS light, as it is on all the time am I looking at a ECU issue?
Again any advise on local repair / service agents to Walsall?
Please answer someone
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

1. Your xantia has anti-sink and should NOT drop for many days. Groans suggest rear trailing arm bearings are failing.
2. TD oil should be changed at a max of 6000 miles.
3. Start by checkig the sensors for continuity - they are cheaper than ECU's anyway. Unplug each one in turn and test with a meter. You will find loads on the subject if you search this site.
4. best to measure fuel consumption more accurately - brim tank, drive till tank nearly empty, brim again - gives you fuel used (pumps are very accurate) 4.54 litres = 1 gallon. i would have thought anything over 45 MPG was good - some say 35 + round town.
5. If the temperature gauge is reading higher than it used to you may have problems creepingup on you. May be worth flushing the engine and the radiator as well as replacing the anti freeze. These radiators are crossflow - ie water flows from side to side - no problem except that sludge collects in bottom tubes reducing the radiator's effective size. At 85 your engine is running quite hard and will need to dump a fair amount of heat so needs max capacity.
Jeremy