Speed camera detectors

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Speed camera detectors

Post by np »

Watching C5`s 5th Gear last night,it seems the powers that be want to ban speed camera/radar dectectors.Unless it is GPS based.
I `ve had a GPS road angel for 3 mths now,brillient bit of kit.Warns of accident blackspots as well,so you can reduce you speed in advance.I dont speed everywhere,but i dont want to get any points.Also knowing about blackspots is good.But by banning them,it seems to me that the camera`s ARE just money making cash machines![:(!]
Sunday i was on the A38 dual carrigeway by my house in Bristol.40mph zone.Theres a speed camera in the central reservation,thats turned around every now & then.Sunday it was facing my direction of travel.100 yards BEFORE it,there was a mobile camera van![:(!]Talk about coining it in.Why there,before the camera???
It can only get worse.Rant over now[:)]
IAN.D
My Cars:

Post by IAN.D »

Yes they are just money making machines and they will do what they can to earn more!!!
They don't want you to know were they are do they, no money to rob you of then!!!
I read somewere that them signs that show the speed you are driving at are some thing like 70 percent more efective at slowing people down than cameras. You see your speed in big numbers which makes you know how quick you are going or shames you in to slowing down.
They will not be putting these in place of cameras though as they do not generate money.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

If you don't speed, you don't pay, they make no money and the self funding cameras and vans disappear. It's the speeding motorists that perpertuate the whole scheme by being caught speeding and generating a fine. No speeding = no fines = bankrupt speed enforcement units.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IAN.D</i>I You see your speed in big numbers which makes you know how quick you are going or shames you in to slowing down.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That type is being discouraged. It seems the chavs think it's a bit of fun to blat past and register as fast as possible. The smiley type are finding more favour. Why not fit speed cameras in these? Not only do you get the effect you mention when folk slow down, but those that don't take heed get fined.
TBH, anyone who's eyesight is so poor that the can't see a reflective 30" diameter sign at the entrance to a village that says "30" or "40" (or whatever) and is unable to then take heed of the simple instruction held therein, probably shouldn't be on the roads anyway.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I'm pleased I'm not the only one who thinks not speeding is a good way of avoiding fines. I cannot stand people who complain that cameras are a stealth tax. No they aren't! Taxes are not optional!!
Maybe it's just because I live in the countryside now. Must admit that breaking the 30mph limit around Birmingham was something I did without a thought but then, there aren't lots of little signs reminding you! It now annoys me when people speed through my village! How you change!
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

the powers that be are going to ban radar detectors and laser diffusers on pain of a fine and points if either is found in your car..... GPS systems will be allowed. This is of course bad news if you have bought a combined unit where you cant detach the radar detector
Its all in the new road traffic bill thats wandering through parliament (the same one that is going to make it a points offense to be using your phone whilst in the car) and its definately going to happen
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Well, looks like road safety is going to take a turn for the worse round these parts if I have to switch off my Mk1 speed camera detectors.
They certainly aren't GPS based, more bio-optical. [;)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by turbolag</i>
TBH, anyone who's eyesight is so poor that the can't see a reflective 30" diameter sign at the entrance to a village that says "30" or "40" (or whatever) and is unable to then take heed of the simple instruction held therein, probably shouldn't be on the roads anyway.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And even it your eyesight is, you may still spot the brightly-coloured box on the pole and grid painted in the road.
Like TL says - no speeding, no fines, no profit, no cameras.
It is also likely that more of the sort that calculate the average speed between two cameras on motorways will appear, as well :(
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

It is also likely that more of the sort that calculate the average speed between two cameras on motorways will appear, as well :(
Under current rules they cannot put fixed cameras on national speed limit sections of motorway. They can put them where there is a permanent or temporary reduced limit.
If you are talking about the rumours that keep going around about speed cameras hidden in the motorway matrix signs it's complete boar locks.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by turbolag</i>

If you don't speed, you don't pay, they make no money and the self funding cameras and vans disappear. It's the speeding motorists that perpertuate the whole scheme by being caught speeding and generating a fine. No speeding = no fines = bankrupt speed enforcement units.
Yes, very simple thinking that. A bit too simple unfortunately.
Numbers of speed cameras up, numbers of speeding fines up, income for camera operators up, <b>ROAD DEATHS UP</b>.
And it is no coincidence that the counties with the most cameras showed the biggest increase in deaths. This years figures are already shaping up to be even worse than last years abysmal figures.
It wouldn't be so bad if there was some gain to be made by the taxpayer but there isn't. The camera companies swallow most of the fine money on "expenses" and the taxpayer is funding the ever increasing number of failed cases which are going through the courts.
The medicine is not working, the solution is to change the medicine not keep upping the dose!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Originally posted by uhn113x
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It is also likely that more of the sort that calculate the average speed between two cameras on motorways will appear, as well :(
The SPECS cameras are more likely to catch drivers out, as they are mounted high up. Also many drivers will not understand how they work, and will be caught out. They are not just being used on motorways, they can also be found on A roads
We currently have drivers who look out for the original Gatso cameras, and slow down usually at the last minute, when they are right on top of the camera. This means a driver following will suddenly encounter the vehicle in front slowing down at a dramatic rate. Which is not normally a problem, when a driver drives with the appropriate space between their car, and the car in front. The thing is people <font color="red"> DO NOT </font id="red"> leave enough space.
Now those of us with common sense, drive with an appropriate amount of space, and anticipate the type of driver detailed above. With the Gatso type of camera at low level they are more obvious, but still catch people out, who drive in a blinkered, trance like manner with too little attention on what thay are doing, (the driving) and thinking too much about what else they have to do, when they get to where they are going.
So with the SPECS camera being so high up, there will be more drivers noticing them at the last minute, and because of their position the driver will be looking up taking their eyes, and attention off the road, and so the danger for other traffic will increase as these amoebas panic brake, with no concern for others around them.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You only need to panic brake if you are going too fast and too close to the vehicle in front, which a lot of people do seem to do.
I would love to see coppers nicking people for tailgating, unfortunately something a camera can't do. I am not against the cameras however-I mean, how hard can it be to stick to the limit?
If people are caught 3 or 4 times by cameras they moan they are in danger of losing their licences, but so they should-these people should not be on the road. It tends to be the same sort of people who do the tailgating and roadraging who also do the speeding-if you get caught and lose your ticket, tough luck!!!
Road death figures can be misleading, like all statistics they should be questioned. Are they drivers, bikers, pedestrians, cyclists????
I live in Essex, they have had a tough anti speed programme and overall deaths are actually down on last year, but the proportion of biker deaths has gone up to 25% of the total, so although you could say essex road deaths are down, you could also say essex road <u>biker</u> deaths are up!!!
The cameras can at least remove one factor, that of excess speed, and if the cameras all went tomorrow there <b>still</b> wouldn't be any more coppers on the road!!!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Speed cameras can only blindy enforce speed limits and only in a very limited manner. They only check whether people are following the speed limit at a particular point and government guidelines say only on straight pieces of road. They can't check whether somebody has slowed down for a road hazard, e.g. a sharp bend in a road or a junction. Checking whether a car's speed is or has been appropriate and safe is beyond speed camera technology, it requires judgement and a brain (traffic police have these).
The message that the safety camera partnerships are sending out is that it is OK to drive at the speed limit regardless of conditions and people do just that on ice and snow, in fog and rain, day or night, legally because the camera's don't flash at them.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

There are too many amoebas [:o)] out on the road. They have now grown into an epidemic.
There are so many, there should be more police to control the situation, and make it safer. The excess use of cameras which are limited in their application, unlike a police officer, has allowed things like road rage to come about.
If the protozoans are dealt with by a police officer, then the roads will be safer, cameras do not get through the thick skulls/cells of the bad driver. If they are pulled over, and dealt with by a traffic officer, including being shown the error of their bad driving the point tends to get through more.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

But if people are thick enough to get caught speeding 3 or 4 times, what other poor driving are they doing? At least they will be banned and off the road!!