Why do catalogues never match?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bikeboyz
My Cars:

Why do catalogues never match?

Post by bikeboyz »

Looking up a front wheel bearing for my 504, and am scratching my head why do parts catalogues never match.
Trupart list my front bearing the same as a Renault Traffic rear, QH give a totally different rear one?
I was hoping to avoid the wait of mail order by buying the Renault one but not so sure what I'd end up with.
I also see in some listing my track rod ends are the same as Partner/Berlingo, but not others...weird. Its a pain becuase I could possibly then buy the matching bits at GSF (although not listed as 504).
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

if you can get hold of a decent parts catalogue, they often quote functional dimentions of components, such as bearing diameters/thickness or track rod end taper/thread information. It often amazes me how many parts from certain cars that will fit others, the main one being clutch friction plates. All that matters is the hub diameter/splines and the inner and outer diameters match.
You also sometimes find that two different part numbers refer to dimensionally identical components. Irritating, especially when one is more expensive than the other!