Xantia 1.9TD Turbo Maintainance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Turbo Maintainance

Post by soupy_sam »

What maintainance is needed to keep the Turbocharger in top condition
When I took one pipe off while doing another job I noticed it was wery oily, is this normal??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No maintenance is necessary except regular engine oil changes using a suitable oil. The can (very seldom) suffer from a leaking internal seal which allows oil to leak past the bearing seals and give generally a smoky exhaust.
Oil in the induction system and inetercooler is only to be expected as the thing sucks in oily fumes from the crankcase. I suppose a flush out of the intercooler wouldn't hurt. (be careful if using petrol that the car doesn't start up on the residue - could rev uncontrollably.
Otherwise keep the air cleaner clean and remember to let the engine slow and idle before stopping (to let the turbo stop spinning) Probably helps to ensure that the thing isn't used just before you stop so that you don't leave it red hot!
Jeremy
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

You could also give the oil feed and return pipes a clean out and try to blow some crap from the oil pathways inside the turbo. Could use thinners or the like. Make sure its all gone before putting back together though. Easier with the turbo off the car. They get terribly gummed up inside with burnt on oil and consequently dont get proper lubrication to the seals and bearings.
Diesel cars dont suffer as badly due to the lower exhaust temps though.
All the turbo's i've had on older cars seem to blow a bit of oil past the seals. Its no big problem as jeremy said as the engine sucks in oil all the time from the crankcase anyway.
To check if its really bad, you will see blue/white smoke after the car has been sitting idling for a bit, then you move off, as the oil builds up and then gets burnt. A bit wont hurt at all. Dont confuse with unburnt diesel or soot though (black).
Out of interest, you can give the car a bit off throttle when the hose lading to the intercooler is disconneted, and see how much is coming past the turbo.
cheers
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

the intercooler is before the crankcase breather pipe i think.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Can't be - everything between the turbo and the valves (which includes the inetrcooler) runs at higher than atmospheric pressure when on boost - so if the crankcase ventilation went in anywhere here it would in fact simply try to inflate the engine!
On my BX the crankcase ventilates into the air cleaner and some of the oil drips onto the end of the filter. The result is that the whole system gets greasy.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Inflatable engines. Now there's a concept we hadn't come across before.
The 405 also has it's crankcase breather pipe connected to the "clean" side of the air filter. The nett effect of which is to completely coat the inside of the inlet tract, through the turbo and the intercooler, with a fine layer of oil. Personally I don't think it's a problem, and I'd much rather that, than have corrosion issues.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hmm, it is on the clean side isnt it...[B)]
Into the hose that goes around the back of the inlet manifold and does the 180 into the turbo inlet.
Its been a long time since mine was like that!!
The pipe also has a one way valve in it, secured to the intercooler, presumably to stop the 'inflatable' engine symptom on closed throttle when some boost escapes back out the compressor side.
As a note, why dont you just disconnect the crankcase breather and block the hose into inlet, then direct the breather into a catch can. I use an old metal engine flush bottle filled with iron wool which I change now and again. You can see them advertised as oil/air separators and are usually made of shiny shiny aluminium and cost £100.00[;)] I wouldnt plumb it back in at all.
Then have a look at how much oil comes out.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Well, you could do that, but why bother? The oil getting into the system isn't doing any harm, it just makes everything 'realisitically' dirty. Engine parts are supposed to be dirty - it's in their nature.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

You do it beacause the oil getting ingested by the engine has a lower power rating, and therefore doesnt burn as well, and robs some power... People use all these additives, and then still want to burn old engine oil?
How do you mean 'relistically' dirty? Citroen put the breather back into the engine as its easier for them to pass the car off as emmisions friendly, or try to explain in the handbook to owners how to empty the oil drain at fillups. It does no good apart from provide a VERY minimal amount of vacuum to help scavenge the crankcase.
It will keep your intercooler cleaner, all passages will flow better and there will be less restriction.
Thats why.