sticking brake caliper xantia 1.9td 1996

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zorgman
My Cars:

sticking brake caliper xantia 1.9td 1996

Post by zorgman »

hi
ive done a good search thru forum but not got a definite answer
changed the pads on sunday and since then my nearside brakes are not releasing, if i give the caliper a belt with hammer it releases,
ive made sure the caliper moves smooth on the pins, what i have noticed is that if i apply the handbrake the caliper doesnt seem to brake correct infact it looks as tho the outerpart stays still and inner part is pushing the disk onto outer.
ive checked everything over including using old pads and stripping and cleaning with no difference.
one thing i did notice is that sometime sombody has been wacking the piston not knowing that it screws in. it screws in and out fine but doesnt want to release the disk as tho ive still got brake on ie systems got pressure in or handbrake slightly on as i cant turn wheel without force
any thoughts before i get another caliper
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

possibly if the piston has been abused,the self adjusting mechanism at the back of the caliper is damaged!
if the hand brake cable is free etc,i would be tempted to buy a new/2nd hand caliper.
the the brake is sticking slightly the brakes will start to overheat and possibly cause the disc to warp,more expense!!
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

done all the checks today ie pipe clear bled it done the lot so decided its scrapyard time in morn. im going to strip it down and see what causes this problem so anybody watching this thread knows what the fault is/can be