Quick coldstart device question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

Quick coldstart device question

Post by Gaskin »

All the recent discussion about idling speeds and coldstart devices made me check mine. Surprise, surprise mine has died. I assume that when I undo the bit from the thermostat housing it will dump coolant. Is this so?
So assuming I need to drain some or all of the coolant any suggestions on how to do it given that the nice new radiators from GSF (like the one I fitted last year) don't have a drain valve at the bottom. Could I just keep the radiator cap on, undo the coldstart device, let coolant out over the front of the engine (it could do with a wash!) refit the new one and top up the coolant and bleed as usual?
Cheers
Duncan
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thats what I did on my BX TD as it seemed easiest and I was too mean to buy another load of antifreeze just for the fun of it.
In fact I made sure I was ready with the new unit to hand fitted with its washer (having trimmed the bowden cable first) so that it was literally out with one and in with another. I'd let off the pressure and don't even think I lost a teacupfull.
jeremy
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Thanks for that. I guess that's my evening sorted.....
Cheers
Duncan
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

As an addition to the above suggestion, get the engine fairly hot, switch off and gently loosen the header tank cap, depressurising the system. Replace cap firmly, and have a tea break. When you come to replace the cold start control, the system will be under negative coolant pressure, and you will lose very little coolant if you are quick. However, you must vent the system when you have finished, in case any air is introduced. Oil the lever pivot at the pump (Bosch ones stick) and adjust the cable to spec.
rotodiesel.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Don't you just love the access you get to bits on a Citroen...?
And of course the spanner splipped and I broke the plastic pipe at the top of the fuel filter holder where the fuel comes in. 'Oh bother!' said I. Never mind, that's £32 from Citroen, or £6 from breakers..... er difficult choice. Now all I have to do is go home, put it all back together, bleed the cooling system, clean the split coolant off the block ('you know you've got a coolant leak don't you sir?') and check the coldstart thing all before the MOT tomorrow.
How much should the lever the coldstart device moves actually move? Once I'd taken the cable off it only moves through about 4mm.
Cheers
Duncan
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've got a wax stat for a Xantia I don't own anymore in the garage - was going to change it at the same time as the radiator, but when I got to it, realised there was no way I was going to get the wax stat out without removing the thermostat housing, and I didn't have a new gasket for that. Xantia remained idling at 1k till I sold it on.