Changing LHM on Xantia mk2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Changing LHM on Xantia mk2

Post by Thunderbird »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">... all the hoses have to be removed first as the tank sits under the guard edge. In this case, be sure to buy a full set of hose clips before you start as Citroen clips are of the "use once & throw away" variety & can cause major headaches if you attempt too reuse them (ie) draw air as well as leak.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Can anyone confirm if this applies to the Xantia mk2?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

As far as I know the tank works pretty much like the BX one, only its square and plastic rather than round and metal!!
All the pipes go into a big plastic plug/plate in the middle of the tank which should just lift out with all the pipes and filters still attached.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The pipes are tight on length but you can get the whatsit out without having to disconnect them all.
You may find it easier if you unbolt the reservoir and lift / tilt it slightly.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have syphoned the old stuff out succesfully before now, you can move the pickup end about in the tank to pick up any bits that may be there.
Stewart
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can syphon but you'll not remove the residue of muck that often covers the bottom of the tank. If your LHM isn't bad, there won't be a lot of muck, but Hydraflush tends to take all of the muck in the system and deposit it inside the tank.
The tank is easier to remove when it's empty, you can tilt it all over the place without risking an LHM spill.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

If you want any help, just give me a call[;)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

On my 1998 2.1 Xantia it's impossible to lift the filter housing without disconnecting the hoses. Also the reservoir won't tilt until it has been raised about 35mm.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

John,
That's what I've tought. Now, do you remember if the clips on the hoses were of the "use once & throw away" or could be easily re-used?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Unless someone's changed them, they're the use once variety.
Try to re-use and you'll spend the next few hours trying to figure out why the car won't rise and it'll be because the clips are letting air in.[}:)]
Alan S
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Can I use "non car spares" clips? Like those used in gardening water hoses?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Providing they're not plastic but are what is referred to as "Jubillee" or "Worm drive" clips either steel or stainless. I also usually just trim a few mm off the end of the hose which I find helps give it a more air tight seal but just check before you snip that there's enough spare hose.
Alan S
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

John,
That's what I've tought. Now, do you remember if the clips on the hoses were of the "use once & throw away" or could be easily re-used?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The originals were crimped. I cut them off using a junior hacksaw and replaced with ordinary jubilee clips. I also used a variety of coloured plastic ties to match up the position of each hose.