Xantia STOP light flashing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

Xantia STOP light flashing

Post by JohnCKL »

My 96 Xantia 1.9TD have been having this problem of the STOP light and coolant temperature light blinking whenever I drive a bit harder and esp. when going up a steep hill. Even when the coolant temp. reads only 80C, it does blink sometimes for a minute then stops. Later when the car cooled, I checked the coolant level, its still the same, no leakage. Have swapped a used blue sensor in front left of the fuel filter but its still the same. Is it because of trapped air in coolant?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Are your fans running when this light comes on? If they are have a play about with the connector on the brown sensor on the thermostat housing if you have one. One mine the connector was a bit corroded so I'd get the stop light and coolant temp light even though the temperature gauge was reading the correct temperature. The blue sensor operates the gauge, the brown one controls the fans and the warning light.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks kowalski. Will use contact cleaner and see if that works on the brown sensor.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

You might want to check your LHM level .. manually .. as the Level ndicator can sometimes become stuck .. indicating normal.. whilst the actual level is low enough to cause the Stop light to flicker especially when climbing hills..happened to me and no one found the cause for 6 months, despite several visits to main Citroen Dealers.
regards
Chris
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks morewood, I'll manually check the LHM too. It should be something to do with the coolant as the coolant temp gauge light blinks too. My mechanic noticed that only one radiator fan was working and changed a relay, now both are working. No wonder I always hear the one fan running at high speed most of the time, even when I've just started my car from cold. He's also replaced the brown sensor with a used one to test and see if its the brown sensor giving problem. So far so good. Now that both fans are running, my running engine temperature have been reduced from a high of 95C to 85C +/- 5C. Still have to monitor further as I haven't done any steep slope climbing yet.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnCKL</i>

My mechanic noticed that only one radiator fan was working and changed a relay.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think that there is a very good chance that this was your problem,its a kind of fault warning for the cooling system.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Probably so. Should have done it one at a time, then will surely know which contributed to the problem. Should have just changed the relay for the fan and see if the STOP light still flashes occasionally. So far so good but then still haven't stress the turbo yet. Checked the LHM manually, level seems to be half way up the tank when car is up, I suppose thats the normal level.