Bx Oil Consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Bx Oil Consumption

Post by ghostrider »

I have owned several diesel Bxs most of which have passed the 300K mark before the tin worm has finally done for them, however my latest one a 1993 17turbo has an appetite for oil, about 800miles to the pint. Having followed it in another car it only seems to burn oil when under acceleration and does not seem to smoke on picking up from off the overrun.
Any Ideas? Turbo shaft oil seals come to mind, but the BX turbos seem to be about bomb proof.
The head gasket blew about 8K ago and the garage that repaired it said that the crack test when it went for skimming was Ok and that the valves and bores seemed OK. I t was burning oil before that anyway.
Interestingly enough, having read the thread about oil additives and the general opinion that they are a bad thing, this is the only Citroen in a long line of GS, DS, CX and BX that I have owned that has not been treated with Slik 50 and is the only one that has ever burnt any oil, probably a coincidence.
My GSA whose engines had a reputation for cmshaft problems did over 300K on the original cams and followers having used slik 50 whereas my earlier ones all needed new cams and followers at around the 150K mark!
thanks Peter<font size=4></font id=size4>

________
Bmw Welt
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You don't say how far this engine has gone - but the obvious oil consumers are valve oil seals and piston rings. You can check the state of the inlet manifold tubes to see if there is a lot of oil there (turbo oil seal failure usually shows up on both suction and pressure sides at the same time).
Otherwise a cold-cranking compression test would show bore/ring wear. If it's not coming from there, it must be the valve seals - not at alla unusual on Cits.
//NiSk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

NiSk
There aren't any valve 'seals' on XUD units - the valves just run in close fitting guides.
Oil cunsumption definetly a problem - could be any of the problems already mentioned. Best bet is just to bung another engine in - there's plenty about (I may have a reasonable 90k one in a month or two, as I expect my BX to die at the next MOT - if an LHM leak doesn't see it off before then!)
Richard