changing the oil filter on a CX gti turbo2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

freek
My Cars:

changing the oil filter on a CX gti turbo2

Post by freek »

Hi,
I just spend over 30 minutes in removing the oil filter on my CX. I did the job lying on my back with the front on axle stands. I used a chain tool. What a hell of a job: you have very little space and it is almost impossible to tension the chain with one hand (there is no space for two hands because of the exhaust). So every time the chain falls down again. I finally succeeded, but I wonder does anyone has any tips and tricks for the next time? Did I use the wrong tool? Thanks!
Freek
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Is there room for a 3 legged 'spider' remover? Possibly the best £10 i've ever spent on a tool. It looks like a claw which fits a 3/8 driver and tightens round the filter, grips it and un-does it at the same time.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dan.2cv</i>

Is there room for a 3 legged 'spider' remover? Possibly the best £10 i've ever spent on a tool. It looks like a claw which fits a 3/8 driver and tightens round the filter, grips it and un-does it at the same time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'll second that motion.
The spider 3 legged variety is worth its weight in gold. Car up in the air (I just used to use ramps) then slide your arms in through the gap they allow in the rear engine crossmember and tweak it off.
If you refit it by hand and don't use any mechanical means to tighten it, and thoroughly oil the "o" ring before fitting, then in future you cam simply screw it off by hand.
In case you're worried about hand tightening; in all the years I've worked on cars, I've never seen an oil filter come loose yet, but, I have seen several that needed a large screwdriver belting through them to release them (after gorillas had tightened them on) and a favourite early Toyota trick, to spit the "O" ring out the side and dump the contents of the sump all over the road within 100 miles of having a filter overtightened.
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
a cheap set of ramps would probably aid an oil change. I find the CX easier than the BX.
--chuck the car up on ramps
--reach up from underneath and unscrew the filter (I rarely need a filter wrench to change the oil filter after I have done the first change)
--slop oil everywhere by trying to fish the filter out without upending it (rarely does it come out without going upside down and dumping rust protection everywhere).
--oil the seal on the new filter and screw down gently with fingers. It takes 5minutes once you have done a couple.
I usually need to chisel the sump plug to get it off on just about every car too (why the bloody hell people do them up so tight is simply beyond me).
seeya,
Shane L.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interestingly the only cannister filters that I have had leak have been good quality ones on my Citroens. Nothing serious but a couple of drips which may well dissappear as the seal may expand on contact with oil. - So I now tighten them extremly tight by hand and look at them after a day or so just to make sure.
I think this is because of the very high pressure on my TD BX and the 1.9D probably isn't that far behind.
jeremy
freek
My Cars:

Post by freek »

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for your hints. I will look for the 3 legged 'spider' remover here in Holland! By the way: I wrote that the car was on axle stands but in fact I used the 'ramps' but didn't know the english term (in dutch 'baby bruggen').
Regards,
Freek
Huwbruin
My Cars:

Post by Huwbruin »

Hi
I know that GSF stocks an oil filter removal tool ( for use with 1/2 inch drive socket and extension).
If you have the correct Citroen or Purflux filter on the car this should do the trick - although I haven't bought one myself yet so perhaps one of the GSF chaps could confirm on this point?
You will still need your baby bruggen though....
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

you could spend a couple more pennies on a filter and get one with a nut on the end so you can remove it with a spanner.
freek
My Cars:

Post by freek »

Hi guys,
I probably found the tool on internet: it's the MIDLOCK 'spinner'.(1730). It looks indeed a very clever tool. I will buy it asap. Tanks again.
regards,
Freek
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

yup putting it on ramps is a good idea[:D] the first time I did it with the suspension on high, the D*** thing was so tight in the end I wound up unbolting the stalk that the filter is screwed to from the engine and removing it on the bench, in fact I destroyed the filter completely and wound up sawing the boss off of the thread on the filter mount, and yes you've guessed it, by the time I had done all this (over 2 days) the suspension had sunk so I couldn't get back under the car [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D], thinking about it it must have been my original 2400 Pallas, as the GTI you couldn't remove the stalk without disconnecting the oil feeds to the turbo I suspect. In fact that was the very first thing I ever did on a CX and it nearly put me off forever, having been used to the great access on the GS
Pete
________
Vaporizer guide
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

is this the 3 legged spider...
regards
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

That's slightly different to mine, but yes that is the same principle.
Work well don't they?
I suggested one of these to a guy over here who had a Renault that had some filter (fuel I think) that he had spent hours trying to remove without success, He went & bought one and had the filter off in less than 2 minutes, he couldn't believe it.
Alan S