BX 16 TRS inlet manifold hoses, one blinded

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX 16 TRS inlet manifold hoses, one blinded

Post by czenda »

Hi, the question is about rubber hoses attached to inlet manifold of 88 BX retrofitted with manual-choke Weber 36 TLP carb instead of original automatic Solex 23/34. As I bought the car with this carb, I do not know the history of this change. It may help to say that the BX was originally intended for Swiss market and that engine code is BAY. I believe it is rather rare beast.
The upper part of the inlet manifold is equipped with two rubber hoses (apart from heating hose). One of them (rear) is attached to oil-filler lid above the „mayonnaise-collecting“ steel-wire mesh, the other one (front) is blinded with a bolt after some 50 cm.
The whole assembly seems to be a legacy of some antipollution system. There is a theory that the purpose of the hoses is to collect oil fumes coming to the lid via lower oil-filling hose and recycle them to the inlet manifold under the carb to be burnt in engine. Is this correct?
My guess is that the blinded hose was somewhat attached to Solex carb, and what I need to know is this: Is it safe to use some T to connect the blinded hose to the one attached to the lid, or should I leave it as-is? Does the fact that one of the hoses is blinded affect engine power? (Say, it may change vacuum created in the inlet manifold or similar...)
Thanx for any suggestions.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

if it starts and runs well,returns good economy, i would leave it as it is.
you might cause promlems if you alter the breathing system.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

It may very well be the easiest way to deal with it, but the sight of the hose just hanging there makes me nervous...[:0]
To make the thing even rarer, my BX is equipped with a combination of electric fuel pump and carburettor (and peculiar carb-cooling system consisting of a fan and a number of relays. This is disconnected now). Quite hair-rising, as the electric pumps supplied with injection models are giving higher pressure than this one. I had to translate Swedish manual to find out what I have there. I guess all designers must have been at strike when designing this...
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

In the days when there were a lot of BXs around, there was a lot of them that had mayonnaise problems and as many theories on how to get rid of it.
One of those theories included leaving one or more of the breather hoses dangling off the engine and I would presume that yours may have been one of those. As they say, let sleeping dogs lie.
Alan S
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

OOOOH, the information collected is:
The thing is a legacy of a system introduced in 88. It was indeed intended for Swiss market, the purpose of its introduction was to get some tax reliefs etc. The engine power dropped drastically, the system was prone to leaks etc. It included thermostatic valves etc., which are long gone in my beast. The only reasonable method of fixing my situation is the "backward progress" to full-manual choke carb, used by 85. I blinded all openings to inlet manifold and it seems the engine is more respondent to the pedal. See what happens next....