Very Poorly AX - Just won't start (Electrical?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidmbell

Very Poorly AX - Just won't start (Electrical?)

Post by davidmbell »

I am having to major problems with my car, for some reason it just died yesterday while it was sat idling, I tried to restart it and it won't start, It turns over OK but just wont go fire and go.
I've checked petrol, wd40'd all connections in the engine, had the fuel pump out to check thats ok etc.
I have discovered when the ignition is on 2/IGN the ignition relay under the ECU is making an odd clicking noise, as if it can't make a connection somewhere (I've plugged a light into the power of the fuel pump and that flickers when the relay clicks). I've replaced the relay with one from a scrapper, and it still does it, now I'm not sure if its both relays that are duff, or something else might be at fault.
I have also noticed that when the ignition is on IGN/2 the lights behind the heater controls come on. Is this normal? ANyone else with an AX notice this (1995 1.0)
ANY IDEA's AT ALL WELCOME!
Thanks
David
ps or if anyone lives near Leeds and has an AX that would be willing to come over and let me check my car with their Ignition Relay (or even test mine on their car).a
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Can't offer much advice but the heater lights (and dash) will come on with the ignition. My girlfriend wondered why her heater lights didn't work but the passenger footwell was illuminated. She hadn't put the two together...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

underneath the ECU there should be a white 3 pin interconector,unplug it & check the terminals arent burnt/corroded.also check the main earths on the body & gearbox. this is all asuming the battery is ok though ??
davidmbell

Post by davidmbell »

Car is now sorted.
Turns out there was some frayed wiring somewhere on the front passenger side near the headlamp. Apparently this fault it this area is common on some Citroens and Peugeots. Road debris, salt, water etc get into this area and can easily corode exposed wiring, so worth checking if you get any stray bonkers electrics.
Turns out the relay/ECU (not sure which garage fixed it in the end) was not getting a positive supply as it should have been, hence why the relay was clicking.
All sorted now, I collect it in the morning.
Thanks for the tips.
David