DVLA Idiots

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

DVLA Idiots

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Just to make my day I have received a letter this morning from the DVLA telling me that I should have declared SORN on a car last January. As they allege I did not, I have been fined £107.50!
Great, however they actually refunded the RFL in December when I declared SORN. What a bunch of inefficeint wasters...
I'm now left having to write letters, send them recorded delivery just to prove my innocence.
Surely they do not refund RFL unless SORN is declared at the same time, because that would implicate them in the offence, basically 'Aiding and Abetting'.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Amazing they invent a new system, and then can't run it properly, why don't they "declare" that to us. ?
This just shows that organisations or companies, do not check through or experience what the people who use them do.
It's a great example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing !
Apparently, the D.V.L.A. records are less than 65% accurate at any one time.
Not exactly a very dependable souce of information then is it, when you consider that figure.
S.O.R.N. Stands for [:D] :-
Sloppy Out (of date not to be) Relied (on) Network.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

In January 2004 I scrapped my old BX, the vehicle had been sorned for a couple of months prior to being taken and cubed, I sent the V5 to DVLA with the appropriate bits filled in, last month I recieved an invitation to renew sorn on it??? I dont think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing with them.
Stewart
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Also along the same lines as this D.V.L.A. F**K UP, I have just been reading an article about someone who received a parking ticket. Which they believed had been incorrectly issued, so they were told to write in, and explain their circumstance, and reason(s) for disputing the ticket.
They were informed that they could do this online, so they sent the details online to the council, so it could be reviewed by the parking control department.
Subsequently they received an increased fine from the council, because of non payment. When they contacted the council about this, they told that the case had not been reviewed, and the increased fine applied.
Why had it not been reviewed, and checked ?
Well the motorist looked into it, and discovered that the department that looks into disputed cases, and examines them.
<font color="red">Do not have online access !
So, they cannot examine anything sent to them online !</font id="red">
Amazing, they could not organise a P**S UP in a brewery !
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

In the '70s my parents had a knackerd MG 1300 which they scrapped, it had a valuable number plate, they tried to take plate off car to sell through DVLA someone at DVLA got documents for car and Stole the plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I recently received the standard DVLA letter saying "Thankyou for letting us know that you are no longer the owner of vehicle registration KPD878W"
The bizzare thing is that I scrapped that car well over 10 years ago. It was a Talbot Horizon, and was on it's last legs even then!
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Why bother writing to the load of useless b******ds? Waste of time, money and trees in my opinion.
I had the same DVLA experience a few months back with a couple of scrapped cars, and after experiencing the wonderful "customer service" on the telephone I decided that if they're going to treat me like a criminal - I'm damn well going to act like one. Duck. Dive. Stonewall. Let 'em take me to court, if they dare. But I'm f****d if I'm going to just pay up like a good little sheep...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I tried to tax wifeys car, to be told that "Sorry, Sir, that car is already taxed. The computer won't let me."
The car was on SORN at the time...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

many years ago we had manual records for vehicles - namely the old green log book. We had a nice Land Rover which was Ex BP and by the time we got it had been painted twice (blue to grey to blue) and had its taxation class changed. We had side windows fitted which I think caused another deletion and ammendment in the book. I then fitted a diesel which produced 2 more ammendments - namely fuel and engine number. All these ammendments were made by simply striking out and writing in the new entry so you can imagine the book was beginning to look interesting.
So the day of computerization arrives and the book is duly confiscated on taxation and we wait for the new certificate to arrive - and behold wonder of wonders - vehicle type - 2 wheel drive rigid-bodied combine harvester! - true!
Did we point it out - whats the point - the tax rate was correct - and of course combine harvesters don't need MOT's. - fun was trying to tax it without producing the certificate!
jeremy
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

When you declare SORN the Post Office should give you a til receipt for 00.00p recording the SORN transaction. Let them take you to court, produce that as exhibit A and you are larfin'.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Must admit I've yet to have a problem with SORN declared at a post office, and I had 4 cars SORNed last year. The problems seem to arise when you post something to them - like the V5 or V11 - and it doesn't seem to enter the system. And there seems to be no way of changing their data either - as an example, one of my scrapped cars (a Peugeot 405) was previously owned by my father. Believe it or not, he's still getting V11 reminders (and fines!) for this car, as am I - a "dual registration"?. It was formally scrapped over a year ago. They couldn't run a p!ss up in a brewery.
Parked next to a newish Mondeo in the car park of our local Morrisons - its tax disc was a good 6 months out of date. Obviously the DVLA system is working well then.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

The scary thing is that we in the Dibble use the DVLA database to drive systems like PNC and ANPR. if they don't know who owns or drives what, or what is SORN'd and what isn't, then how the hell are we supposed to know?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Great, having not received a reply to my recorded delivery letter or to the several phonecalls I made a couple of weeks ago, I phoned them again today. My recorded delivery letter has not been received by them[:(!].
I phoned the Post Office, "No sir, no record of that letter being delivered, it now looks like its been lost in the post!![:(!]
However, at least there is some sign of hope as the pleasant lady I spoke at the SORN office said that it will now be 'NFA'd as I had notified them that the car was scrapped before I received their FPN and had had problems trying to contact them.
Lets see if the Post Office can deliver me the NFA letter now!!