405 Diesel Porous Head?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mauro2232

405 Diesel Porous Head?

Post by mauro2232 »

Just bought 405 diesel. It's done 200k
Has been losing oil, about 1 litre every 500 miles. Definately not burning it - you can see it dripping off the block at idle. On further examination I can see bubbles of oil blowing from the head/block face at idle, obviously from oilways.
Oil not mixing with water, and vice versa - yet! Don't no much about diesels but could it poss be a porous head. Only ever owned petrols but I imagine due to higher compression, a diesel cylinder head will be under more pressure.
Car was only £275 and would be prepared to change head gasket but i'ts not worth getting head skimmed or even another head.
Does anyone have any diesel experience with this prob, and is it likely that head is porous.
Thanks if anyone can help.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

ive got a head should you need one and its been checked it will cost you postage. its for a non turbo 1.9 though.
sounds like head gasket to me...
Andy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yep, head gaskets on the XUD engines well known to leak oil down the back of the head gasket is knackered - and can do it without losing any compression or water. Should be OK without a skim if it hasn't overheated. Probably not too bad a job if it's not a turbo engine...
mauro2232

Post by mauro2232 »

Thanks Chaps
It is a non-turbo.
Activa, how much do you want for the head should I need one, and where abouts are you as it may be cheaper to collect.
You don't think it sounds like a porous head then. Do you know what symptoms of one are?
Thanks
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Sounds like a head gasket gone, best thing would be to take the head off and take a look. the head is yours for nothing + postage (donations welcome of cause but I don’t expect anything for it), or if you collect you can walk away with it, it has no cam so you will need to take that off your engine.
I'm in Redditch Worcestershire.
Andy
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

For what it's worth (this is something of a leap), I sorted a leaking head gasket on a 2.0 petrol Xantia 12 months ago by backing off one headbolt at a time (starting from the centre of the head and working out towards the ends) I oiled the thread, and then re-torqued the bolt up to the spec for a BX 1.9 plus an extra 5 Nm for good measure (they don't give a final torque figure for the Xantia headbolts. It has been fine since. In this case, the head had not been heated to the point where stress relief would begin, so I was pretty confident that the head had not warped. This is a lot quicker and simpler than replacing a head gasket ; If it doesn't solve your problem you haven't lost much time and can still go ahead with lifting the head.
It is my opinion that the frequency of headgasket failures on modern Citroens is due to their omitting the re-torquing procedure that used to be done after a head gasket had done about 1500 miles, and that this shortcut has been implemented to give the illusion of lower servicing costs.
mauro2232

Post by mauro2232 »

Thanks
Will be doing the job over Easter.
Will let you know what I find!