Xantia Service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

p20

Xantia Service

Post by p20 »

What exactly is involved in a 48,000 mile service? Filters i can do my self. The handbooks suggets checking play in suspension,hubs,ball joints,etc - this bit i'm unsure of how to do. The brakes have just been done as i had to replace the front ones 500 mile ago. It also suggests new lhm (the car is four and half years old). Don't now how to do this, is it easy? Anything else to look out for? Finally, if i get a garage to give the suspension the once over and change the lhm how much do you reckon they'll charge?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The suspension was checked on the MOT - if not its probably a bad liar and will start rattling if there is anything wrong. LHM is realy cleanig out the reservoir (drop the car first to clear the suspension) and refilling. If you are conscientious you will bleed the old out through the brakes. You can flush it if you like - just means doing the job twice.
Difficult - isn't it!
Jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you can manage to change the LHM and clean the filters yourself according to instructions, at least you´ll know it´s been done correctly. Sad to say, some mechanics will simply tip out the old fluid and put in some new
p20

Post by p20 »

Cheers guys. From what i understand you run the car with the flush in the system for a few hundred miles before the actual new lhm goes in. Is this correct? If not please forgive my ignorance.[:I]
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

if you are using citroens hydra-flush,that is correct,the instructions on the bottle are quite straight forward
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Running with flush is an extreme measure, and would only be required if the system had been badly contaminated.
Hydraulic oil tends to maintain itself in good condition for a long time provided it stays below 90degreesC, which it will do in a Citroen, unless it's being rallied or something similarly extreme.
The factor which has the most defining effect on the life of hydraulic equipment is the cleanliness of the oil, and unless oxidized by heat, the usual villain is wear particles, but water condensation can sometimes cause corrosion if the oil never gets warm enough to make the water evaporate out.
Unfortunately citroens have always used only coarse return-line filters, so they are theoretically vulnerable to particulate contamination. But I've done big distances in a hot climate, and had no problems changing the LHM at about 8 years (at the same time as I get the spheres re-gassed). Provided that the oil is a nice green and fairly transparent, I would regard it as OK. Cloudiness or darkening is a warning that the time has come to change the oil (except on a GS, where the LHM is contaminated by engine oil)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by p20</i>

Cheers guys. From what i understand you run the car with the flush in the system for a few hundred miles before the actual new lhm goes in. Is this correct? If not please forgive my ignorance.[:I]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unless the old LHM is very discoloured, or you suspect the system has been neglected, in my opinion, you don´t need to use hydraflush. A good clean of the filters and reservoir should be enough.