Twin cooling fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Twin cooling fans

Post by np »

Are the fans the same on a non a/c car & a a/c car?I`ve seen a set on Ebay,but mine has a/c.Does that make any difference?One of mine hase a dodgey bearing.Thanks[:)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

They are an easy one to fix and very inexpensive to do, but be warned, they are an absolute @$&***&%$$@ to get access to. You have to almost remove everything from the front number plate to the fuel filler cap; it's a ridiculously large operation.
If you were to buy the eBay fans, be careful that they aren't already 3 parts worn out. If it were me and I could get them cheap, I'd possibly buy them as spares but to be 100% sure, I'd be inclined to frstly remove my existing ones and replace brushes and bearing before I'd fit ones of unknown condition.
Allow up to 8 hours to remove and replace.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=10752
Scarey but true.
Alan S
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

i take it you mean the two cooling fans?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

No need to tell me what to remove Alan,thats why i never did them in the summer!!![:0]I took one look at it & thought about buing another car![:(]Anyway,i did manage to get the fan blade off in the summer & cleaned it all up & greased it.It still spins at the same speed as the other one,which it didn`t at the time.Doesn`t make any noise`s anymore,but still wobbles,where as the good fan spins smoothly.
The fans are priced at 1p(yes 1 pence!)with 2 days to go & 1 bid on.I will keep an eye on them.
Thanks Alan.[:)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Yes tonespeed,the twin cooling fans in front of the rad/i/cooler/a.c rad.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

i take it the fans on ebay are complete,cowling and blades,would it be worth stripping them down to bare motors and fitting them that way?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

2 sets on there,look compleat.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
See if i can get a set,then have a go in the better weather.When i had a look at mine,i could just get the fan blade foward enough to clean it.You`d still have to do as Alan says to get at it all.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

They are an easy one to fix and very inexpensive to do, but be warned, they are an absolute @$&***&%$$@ to get access to. You have to almost remove everything from the front number plate to the fuel filler cap; it's a ridiculously large operation.
Allow up to 8 hours to remove and replace.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
no way,check my post in this thread about a Snap-on spanner that allows you to remove the fan motors without removing the radiator,intercooler,condensor etc.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... anner,fans
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

FWIW,
The front one is an SKF bearing A$5.50 (about 2 UK pounds) and the rear is a phospur bronze bush.
Alan S
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Will have to wait for some more as i was out last night & forgot about the fans,hence auction ended.DO`H!