BX LHM level confusion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cauchoiskev
My Cars:

BX LHM level confusion

Post by cauchoiskev »

Hello all,
And thanks for an informative and amusing forum.
The Citroën BX owner's manual states that the yellow disc on the float should be between the two red marks, however, Haynes drawing shows the sort of Chinese hat on the top as the indicator.
I tend to trust the manufacturer, but how could Haynes get such a basic thing wrong ? Leaving thousands of BXs with their LHM resrvoir under-filled...
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

the correct way to check level is: raise suspension to the high setting,the yellow float should be between the two red lines.
alot of people get confused with the level and think its too full when the suspension is at its normal running height.
cauchoiskev
My Cars:

Post by cauchoiskev »

Spot on, tonespeed1999, but that is not what I mean. My question is : what exactly is the pointer ? Take a look at this :
http://img107.exs.cx/img107/9064/lhm8qz.jpg
Now take a look at this :
http://img128.exs.cx/img128/5877/lhm25ff.jpg
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

"filling of the hydraulic intallation. the yellow index must locate between the two red rings. Checking conveys in high position, driving turning (void page 28)."
Thats what google makes of the french on that picture. The yellow is a stripe on the red hat i.e. at its widest point.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We had a discussion about this some time back - I produced a scan of a BX handbook showing the top marker as the correct level, and someone else produced a scan of a handbook showing the lower maker as the correct level - so even Citroen don't know!!
I think as long as the float is not flat and the bottom, and drops off the top a bit a high the level is not far off. You can always use AlanS' test of the level should about finger depth below the top on high!