Lump identity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlWilliams
My Cars:

Lump identity

Post by AlWilliams »

Hope someone can help.
I am to replace the lump in my ZX (thanks to an over excited trip to the Forest of Dean) at the weekend with a replacement engine from a 406 (currently fitted in another ZX). I will be replacing the oil pump, water pump, cambelt and tensioners as a matter of course. How can I tell how old the engine is / or which parts are required from the GSF parts list.
Thanks in anticipation.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'll try....... a few clues for me though, petrol, diesel? Turbo?
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Oopps[:I]
Talk about missing the obvious[:D][:D]
It's a 1.9 TD
Jon

Post by Jon »

19TD? Ok, if it is, look at the engine block just behind the filler neck, should be a small black riveted plate there, a 19TD will say D8A and a 17TD is an A8A.
There have been no major changes to the 19TD since mid 1994 when the cambelt tensioners changed. If its out of a 406 then its got to be 1996 on anyway.
So identifying water pump, cambelt, tensioners etc will be a walk in the park.....except for the water pump which kept changing at various dates certainly in the Xantia.
Timing belt N13113
Tensioner N13182
Water pump T17016 should be the one if the 19TD if the engine came out of a 406 > mid 1997, after that its T17017.
I need to work out how to date an engine from the number.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Many thanks for your advice Jon. Time to palace an order.
For future reference, the new lump is mated to a ZX TD (outer cable push) gear box, would the clutch be a 406 one or a ZX one?
Cheers
Al.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Following Jons' last response, would it be best to confirm the exact engine components from the engine number?
If so where is it found and how can I confirm.
Many thanks.
Al
Jon

Post by Jon »

The 406 19TD used the same clutch (the one with the bearing attached to the cover plate) as the ZX & Xantia TD so no worries there.