Oil Viscocity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manic_man
My Cars:

Oil Viscocity

Post by manic_man »

Hey all, im about to change the oil on my Xantia 1.9TD. Can i just check, Citroen recommend 15W/40 for this engine right? I cant find a definate answer on this and the previous owner used 10W/40 TD oil (what halfords used to put in for him...)
Basically was wondering, what does everyone think of the Quantum 15W/40 TD oil as sold here on GSF? Or wouldi be better off with the Total? Also what oil filter does everyone reccommend and more to the point (for any passing GSF member of staff if they visit these forums) why cant i find an oil filter for the Xantia 1.9TD on your website? [:0]
mucho appreciated guys [:D]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I use 10/40 Halfords own brand semi synthetic(?).Have done for the last 40 k miles.Could proberly use 15/40 now,but will stick to the Halfords.I use a genuine Purflux filter,not from GSF as there isn`t a branch local to me.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Iwon't say all oil is the same - it probably isn't. What I will say is that the viscocity is the important characteristic and that I don't think any engine will come to any harm if good quality oil of the correct viscocity (ie oil suitable for turbo's for turbo's ) is used.
For my part I run our BX TD and ZX 1.9D on Morris's Servol 15W40 Turbo diesel oil. I use the same in both as I only have to keep one for top up. While I have used many gallons of Morris's oil over the years it is realy because my local friendly factor stocks it and the price is quite good rather than for any other reason. The chance of any of it making the slightest difference to overall engine life is something I'm never likely to find out as I don't suppose I'll ever drive far enough to find out. The BX has an indicated 196,500 miles and for all I know may have been clocked.
When did you last hear of a car siezing because of the wrong make (as opposed to grade) of oil being used? I don't think it makes any difference at all. An expensive oil may make you feel better but you'd probably be better putting the money towards an night out for your wife.
jeremy
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

re. halfords filters. don't use their fuel filter for the xantia 1.9td. I did and the car would stall after 30 seconds i put the old one back in and it worked so I swapped them again same thing happened so from now on I don't use Halfords filters.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The manual for my Xantia says 15/40 or 20/50. The most important bit of this really is the 40 or 50.
You can run 0/40, 5/40 or even 10/40 in the engine without a problem providing that the oil meets the required ACEA / API rating.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Stick anything in it. As long as you change it and keep it topped up the rest of the car will be completely knackered before the engine is.
True Mobil 1 may make an engine last an extra 25% as many miles or whatever it may be but most engines quite easily do over 200k anyway so why bother. By that time everything else on the engine and car is knackered anyway so whats the point in having good bearing etc... Its would be time to buy a new one anyway.
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

hehe what i was thinking :)
I dont have a wife [:(] however i think ill be sticking in some Quantum 15/40 TD oil, at £8.90 for 5 litres that aint half bad :)
Does any1 know if GSF sell the cit filter though? I could ring them i spose but that would involve effort :p im going on saturday so would rather pick em all up at once rather than have to travel another 4 miles to another well known european car part seller who deffo does sell the cit filter.
Cheers guys, always was confused by all these oil ratings :)
Out of interest, whats the difference between oil meant for TD's compared to normal D's? is it slightly thinner so it passes through the turbo more easily or is it something else? Or is it marketing? ;)
cheers :)
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

TDs get hotter than normally aspirated diesels so they need an oil that is more resistant to high temperatures. TDs also have higher cylinder pressures and bigger power outputs so all in all the oil has more work to do. An oil suitable for a TD will run a non-turbo diesel happily, most modern / current oils will be happy in both.
GSF do the Citroen filter, the OEM one is the Purflux GSF Number N12045
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

ahh yes thats makes sense.
I just gave them a ring anyway, think i'll go with the quantum TD stuff seeing as its the right rating, annoyingly though they dont a 1 litre top up bottle and the xantia's sump takes around 5.7 litres (if my memory serves me right) so i either have 2 buy 2 5 litre bottles or drive around with it just under a litre off.... annoying that....
newho thnaks for the info guys, i feel my oily knowledge is better now [:p]
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Oil capacities.
Both of my Xantias use less than 5l of oil, there is always oil left in the 5l bottle after an oil change.
http://www.kolumbus.fi/perhe_pitkanen/xw/technica3.htm
Early 1.9 litre engines 5.10 litres
Later 1.9 litre engines:
With air conditioning 4.00 litres
Without air conditioning 4.25 litres