BX 19TRi drive belt for Hydraulic pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

BX 19TRi drive belt for Hydraulic pump

Post by PeterMann »

The drive belt on my BX 19TRi is slipping and squealing. Have tightened it as much as I would think is judicious, but some squealing remains. Figure I need a new drive belt, but cannot read the size (it was probably new in 1989).
Can anybody tell us what size the V belt driving the hydraulic pump is on the 1.9 litre engine ? Probably some eccentric metric size that won't be stocked in Ballaarat, so I'd rather have the new one in hand before taking the old one off.
By the way, the tensioner wheel : is it a simple matter to replace the bearing while I have it off the car ?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Peter
The HP pump belt on BX 16/19 is a standard size belt 10A0800
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I found when I did the TZi a few weeks back that to tension the belt I needed one real big screwdriver and a tommy bar.
Forget everything you ever learned about belt tensions and just lay back on this thing as hard as you can and tighten quickly before it slips back. When you can play a tune on it, you've got it about right.
Thebearing in the jockey wheel from memory I doubt can be removed and replaced, rather, just replace the entire thing.
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

AlanS -
Just for the record :
In your inch world - what would be the size designation for the above belt (10mm width x 800mm lenght) ?
Would that be 3/8" X 31.5" ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This any help with regard to tensioner?
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11320
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

AlanS -
Just for the record :
In your inch world - what would be the size designation for the above belt (10mm width x 800mm lenght) ?
Would that be 3/8" X 31.5" ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes Anders, that's correct.
FWIW, I've had problems getting that serpentine belt adjusted on the alternator & air con and found a neat trick if it's hard to get a decent spanner on the large top bolt on the alternator (which is the one most seem to have problems with.)
It takes a 21mm socket but at a pinch, a 22mm hex socket will suffice.
The problem is that an offset ring spanner and the ratchet on a socket will jam against the strut tower meaning you either can't get it on, can't get it off or can't turn it.
I went a bought a $1 (40p) Chinese 22mm socket. Drilled a hole about 5mm through it around where the 1/2 square drive and the 22mm hex connect. Then jam a large tommy bar (tapered type) through the hole to turn it. I used a similar thing on another part of the job at the time and found it also was too long, so I simply ground a few mm off the end to make it fit.
With the 16V the serpentine fits between crank, alternator and air/con pulleys and needs to almost "wrap around" to get surface area to cope with the load and it's easy to run out of adjustment, so using this 21/22mm socket, set the jockey fully backed off, adjust the alternator and then put the pressure on via the jockey type adjustment and you have heaps to play with.
We also found on both the 16V and the TZi that the belt needed adjusting 3 times before it stopped squealing.
Alan S