BX glovebox lid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

BX glovebox lid

Post by dillosk8ter »

Someone {who shall remain nameless; not to mention unpopular!!} saw fit to show me how loose the glovebox lid on the BX was by violently shaking it while open........it then snapped off in their hand..grrrr!!!!!![:(!][:(!][:(!]
Is there a way of refixing it or removing glovebox unit and replacing?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The whole lot is held in with about 6 screws, it will then pull out. It's a very common fault which I think needs a bit of brain storming to come up with a fix.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I did see someone who fixed theirs using a thin Piano hinge inside the lid. Might be easier to get another unit from the scrappy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

[quoteMight be easier to get another unit from the scrappy
][/quote]
Maybe, but when I needed one, all the cars I looked at had broken lids!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I just replaced mine (thanks Wilcobob) the old one was held together with small self tappers, metal hinges and zip ties, It is not too secure and was rattling a bit but I did not throw it away, Where are you?
Stewart
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Saw a complete, pristine grey one this week near Southampton. Unfortunately it's in one of the world's most expensive scrappies....
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

If its just the hinges on the lid you can use superglue. Thats what I did when a pen got trapped in there and caused it to snapp off when i shut it.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

piano hinges? mmmmm that could work....might try srappies also but think all the scrap BX's locally are long gone. In response to Oilyspanner 'where are you?'- Near Abergavenny, South Wales.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

And thats it down to a T adamskiBX! i find its usually the cable for my mobile phone charger that doe it! my solution is a piece of rubber stuck to the glove box flap, it covers the big gap and pushes upwhen you clos ethe lid! though i havent done the mod yet!
On the other hand though i already have a spare! Shame the one fitted in the car is busted!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

That sounds like a good mod Vanny. I would try that but im getting rid of my BX soon as ill hopefully have my GS MOT'd after 2 or three years of it having no MOT ( should be interesting reliability wise but thats what I love about cars, the fiddling with things ) Ill miss the BX for its 100% reliability and fuel economy though but wont miss the rattles and squeeks and failing interior plastics! I somehow know that ill come back to the BX's at some point though, maybee in a few years if I feel that my milage is too great for a 27 year old GS! Ideally it would be a 1.7 Turbo D with all the luxuries.