XANTIA 1.9TD 1993 BRAKE / STEERING PROBS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

macp

XANTIA 1.9TD 1993 BRAKE / STEERING PROBS

Post by macp »

I have a 1993 Xantia 1.9TD. For some months, well 2 actually, I have had problems with intermittent heavy power steering and un-responsive brakes when applied (1-2 sec delay). Scary. To over come this problem I had to undertake the following weekly:
For the brakes I found that I had to bleed them weekly, each time air was released, with a spurt especially from the rear.
For the power steering after doing brakes, undertook the good cyber thingy, up & down, and putting the steering wheel from side to side.
I replaced the hose from pump to reservoir with garden hose as a trial.......... No change. A week later, back to the same thing.
I have investigated this further and have found tiny bubbles from the pump seals. I know that the pump is f*****. [:(] I nearly choked at the price of a new one from Citroen.[:0] Is there anyone out there that can assist me in the supply of a new / recon pump? [:)]Most important is that the cost won’t frighten a JOCK wallet and certainly not Citroen prices. The Pump has only 1 x high-pressure outlet and 1 x inlet, the rubber inlet from res.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You should not have tiny air bubbles coming from the pump seals. I can understand that pipe joints and other components may act as a filter and seal against LHM (due to surface tension) and not against air and think thats probably what is happening - so where has the air come from?
If gas is coming from the pump it can only be a leak between there and the reservoir or a fault inside the reservoir! - much cheaper than a recon pump.
You should find pumps in the on-line shop or the catalogue (downloadable) - go to Home!
Jeremy
macp

Post by macp »

Jeremy, The pump is leaking LHM fluid. Thou the fluid loss is very slight. I would expect pump to remain dry once cleaned. These bubbles I assume must be the LHM under pressure being released and the air is being drawn in.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by macp</i>

I have a 1993 Xantia 1.9TD. For some months, well 2 actually, I have had problems with intermittent heavy power steering and un-responsive brakes when applied (1-2 sec delay). Scary. To over come this problem I had to undertake the following weekly:
For the brakes I found that I had to bleed them weekly, each time air was released, with a spurt especially from the rear.
For the power steering after doing brakes, undertook the good cyber thingy, up & down, and putting the steering wheel from side to side.
I replaced the hose from pump to reservoir with garden hose as a trial.......... No change. A week later, back to the same thing.
I have investigated this further and have found tiny bubbles from the pump seals. I know that the pump is f*****. [:(] I nearly choked at the price of a new one from Citroen.[:0] Is there anyone out there that can assist me in the supply of a new / recon pump? [:)]Most important is that the cost won’t frighten a JOCK wallet and certainly not Citroen prices. The Pump has only 1 x high-pressure outlet and 1 x inlet, the rubber inlet from res.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The pump might be shot, and the cause of the heavy steering, but it is unlikely to be responsible for the gas in the rear brakes.
The gas in the brakes is probably coming from a leaking sphere membrane - most likely one of the rears. The LHM bubbling out of the pump will probably be a failed o-ring in the outlet port - ignore it if it is only just weeping. The air will not get in here - this side runs at 140-170 bar!
The pump might be sucking air, in which case they usually rattle a lot, and this is most likely to be from a split in the suction hose.
I would try:
Change the LHM if it has not been done recently, and if it's particularly neglected use hydraflush first - making sure you clean the filters in the tank as well.
Carefully examine the pump suction hose for splits, and fit proper jubilee clips at both ends.
Renew the rear spheres, and possibly the accumulator if the car is ticking frequently.
Then see where you are - this will probably cure the brakes and improve the steering. If the steering is still bad, then you might get a cheaper re-con pump from Plaeides, or take your chance on a S/H one, but single output pumps will all be nearly 10 years old, so possibly no better than the one you have got!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The pressure side of the pump is running at about 2000 psi or so and will NOT draw in air. If there is air in the pump it must be coming in on the inlet side - and you may find if its eliminated you do not have a problem. As I said - cheaper than a pump.
Jeremy