rear sphere confusion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gecko

rear sphere confusion

Post by gecko »

Hi everyone - I am now an expert in xantia clutch clip and have successfully replaced front spheres thanks to this forum and I even made lightish work of the number 1 glowplug.
It seems to be time to change rear spheres - the level adjuster's working fine - ie when I stand in the back the car comes up but the normal rear height seems a bit low and when I set the car to high positon with the lever the fronnt goes up but not the back(until I stand on it) - so I am assuming rear spheres - of which there are 3 - my only problem is which ones do I need - I have xantia 1.9td estate N reg 1995 without hydroactiv so do I need 2 spheres N45366 and 1 sphere-gen N45384 ?? I don't know if I have anti-sink - the car didn't seem to sink much when I had it nearly a year ago (although it would now and again) but seems to have sunk more and more as time's gone on.
My exhaust tailpipe has fallen off somewhere as well (probably driving off before the car's up to height) - my mechanic has told me to get a back-box, pardon my ignorance but is this the 'silencer-rear' in the gsf shop.
I have obtained instructions for the fitting of the rear spheres from this forum so once I know which to order I can get the job sorted.
Many thanks in anticipation
Shaun
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Thats not a rear sphere problem, its a problem with the height corrector being a bit slow and sticky. Giving it a good spray with the old WD40 (or equivilent) and wiggling the levers backwards and forwards a lot will probably help it. After its had its bath in WD40 you'll need some thicker oil to go on it since the WD40 will tend to evaporate. My height correctors are lubed with a mixture of Silicon spray oil and chain saw oil.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

the easiest way to tell what type suspension your xantia has is to look at the HP pump,if it has one steel pipe from it, it is normal,and if it has two steel pipes from it, it has non sinking suspension.
gecko

Post by gecko »

cheers guys - will check that out - sorted part numbers anyway - rang GSF.
gecko

Post by gecko »

Right - replaced all 3 rear spheres - I swear that middle one was welded on ;-) fortunately I'd purchased the tool from pleiades - but my arms are still aching. so height corrector still working ok when load placed in rear - using the lever in the car all 4 corners drop right down - all 4 come up to running height fine the rear alot faster than it was doing but the rear won't go up any higher than normal height when I move the lever to full height the car just rises further at the front, there's plenty of LHM in the reservoir. Call me a dunce but I've tried looking for this plastic clip thingy that seems to be a common problem and can't suss it I have downloaded the diagram provided by RDD on this thread http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=12560
can someone tell me which part is the plastic clip - is it 6?
any other ideas would be greatly appreciated
all the best
Shaun
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

It is indeed part 6. It sounds to me as though the height corrector is sticking, or you need to adjust it. If the connector had come off, the suspension wouldn't go up or down at the end concerned.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A word of caution when "wiggeling" the height corrector linkages - make sure the car can't fall on your face!! i.e. axel stands, ramps or something else to keep it away from your body!
//NiSk
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

i have a similar issue with my rear suspensions and i have wd40 [:)], where do i find the hieght corrector please thanks
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

and what does it look like [:I]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Both are connected to the anti-roll bar and somewhere in the centre you will find a linkage attached to it. Follow the linkage and eventually you will find the height controller which is a cylindrical device with a number of pipes coming out of it.
jeremy