Xantia tool kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia tool kit

Post by soupy_sam »

I am going to be doing a lot of travelling in my Xantia 1.9 TD and was wondering if you could reccomend a <b>simple basic tool kit</b> that I can put together and keep in the car. At the moment I have 3 toolboxes in the boot.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Apart from the usual small tools you would not need any special tools. You can not do a sphere change or pipe replace anyway on the roadside - unless you carry loads (hyd jack, axle stands etc.).
Carry a supply of engine oil, LHM, coolant, etc, which would ensure you can limp to nearest garage on gross faults.
Have a selection of fuses and bulbs - and some very good tools for a wheel change (standard incar tool not much good).
Gaffer tape may give you just that extra chance reaching a garage in case of a coolant hose leak.
A couple of quick-tyre filler/repair bottles would ensure you get around a flat tyre very easy in most cases.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I suggest a voltmeter, electrical pliars, electricians screwdriver, soldering iron, wire , fuses and a multimeter to cater for the inevitable electrical malfunctions:-)
Seriously, spare fuses and key bulbs are very useful. I also carry a torch and a gardener's kneeler mat to use if having to kneel down when jacking up a car..
And a towrope and jump leads ...plus a couple of srewdrivers (flat, cross headed) and an adjustable spanner...
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Or failing all the above items blind faith and an AA or RAC card with mobile phone.
Always worked for me in the past. I find that no matter what you are carrying tools wise 9 times out of 10 its a failure of a component that needs replacing that stops you, therefore all the tools are useless unless you happen to be carrying spare parts.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Vise grips and a lump hammer [}:)][;)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Torx bits/screw driver.
If your traveling abroad,& have alloy wheels,take the locking nuts off & replace with normal 1`s.My "key" snapped in Italy!
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Ooh, let's see now: A 13mm open-ended+ring spanner. A 1/4" drive ratchet handle c/w 13mm socket. A pair of pliers and a ratchet screwdriver with a selection of hex drive torx bits. Oh and a spare clutch clip (I know the white ones are supposed to be stronger, but that's what's in my glovebox ATM [:D]
Alan
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

In my wife's car (ZX 1.9D) I have a Halfords tool kit (£20 worth which has a good range of bits, spanners, spark plug cleaning brush (useful on the diesel!), tapes . . . all in a zip case) I also keep a universal fitting extendable wheel nut remover, some bulbs, latex gloves, cable ties, tyre gauge and a footpump in a cheap plastic toolbox tied to the side with a bungy strap. The footpump is there as if my wife finds she has a soft tyre she can probably pump it up and keep going carefully whereas she probably won't change a tyre even with the benefit of expert instruction.
My BX - well lets say it sinks rapidly at the back at the moment and takes longer to rise than it should. (Well there's even a Range Rover battery in there at the moment)
Jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Where do you guys keep any luggage [:D]
I dont carry anything else than a bit of LHM, and those tyre inflators - and of course the wheel tools.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

You lot have no balls.
All I've got in the boot of my car is a few bulbs in a fancy Citroën set that some previous owner probably paid a small fortune for.
I've said it now. Watch the bloody thing break down next time I need it.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I'd say keep a load of beer in the boot if travelling in snowy areas!!!
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1261997.html?menu
Essential it seems and fun!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I carry a footpump, jump leads, a wheel brace and a spare bulb kit.
I've only used the bits I carry around when I've been at home so they could live there instead of in my car. The footpump gets used, and the wheel brace too occasionally (as a cheap extending 1/2" drive breaker bar). The jump leads are in unused condition (christmas present) and I'm not sure whether the bulbs in the bulb kit actually fit my car (apart from the H3 headlights).
You don't need to carry spare fuses, there is usually something you can steal the fuse from if one blows....
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

to me,i think if you carry tools specially on a journey,is tempting fate!and you will breakdown!![V]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Apart from the jack & wheelbrace, you could also do with a pair of gloves, becauser you can almost guarantee that when you need to change a wheel you will also need to stay clean!!!
Like Stinkwheel says, it will be a componont failure that stuffs you. All the tools in the world won't help, if you havn't got that spare rad hose,bit of fuel pipe,alternator,ECU, clutch kit..............
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

a rag, 13mm spanner, 10 mm spanner, wheel brace, foot pump, 1m of wire (like bell wire but single strand), 5 cable ties, pliers, philips head screw driver, flat screw driver, T25 headed driver and finaly a knife.
You can get out of most easy things with those tools the wire is very usefull every time ive had anythign go worng its always that that seems to fix it.
Andy