1.9TD, better turbo/intercooler?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joe_405TD

1.9TD, better turbo/intercooler?

Post by joe_405TD »

Hello after looking into fitting the hdi to the 405 deciede to leave untill i can get a performance ecu at a good price or a whole 406 donor car.
Instead of this i would like to get the full potential from my 1.9td, does fitting the hdi turbo give better response or is the boost electric controled, in that case useless for the 1.9.
What intercooler is suitable for an upgrade to the standard peuget one so i can turn the boost up further, i heard the front mount Xantia one is not very efficient so not worth bothering with.
Andy you have any ideas on this or done something similar?
Cheers Joe
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Vanny has fitted the front mounted Xantia type intercooler to a BX, I have a BX with the top mounted intercooler but have improved (hopefully) the efficiency by fitting an impretza style scoop on the bonnet, how much boost are you running/intending to run? what are your modifications so far?
Stewart
joe_405TD

Post by joe_405TD »

I put a new engine in last april out or a Xantia, the engine cane with turbo pump (bosch) etc but the waste gate on the turbo was broken when removed, so i fitted the one of my old engine.
Thought it had potential to go faster so got a boost gauge and found out it boosts around 1.1 bar normally and 1.2 up hill under heavy acceleration. It holds this untill 4000rpm (which is good i think). I have also turned up the diesel on the outer screw and in the little chamber with the plunger, it smokes a tiny bit just as you rev then no smoke so its burning all the diesel.
Want to get more power as people say if you keep the air cool you can run them at a bit more boost with no problems, and depressed as cant fit the HDI i wanted...
[:)]
Joe
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Hi Joe,
The things I looked at were:
Fit NA cam as it has a small amount of overlap.
Increase fuelling and boost (first boost then fuel).
Swapping the turbo for a Hybrid will give you smoother power through the range, not as most people think more power.
Use the xantia/406 radiator and intercooler, but get the intercooler made for you as an all alu unit (the plastic parts of the stock units break when boosting around a bar).
Use a windscreen washer pump a switch and a water bottle with some pipe and make an intercooler sprayer. Putting holes in the pipe like the BX's washer is the best way to spread the water evenly.
Fit a metal HG so the engine may be able to take all this abuse better.

Get rid of all the soundproofing thought the car (less weight).
Use a 2.1 injection pump and loom (got to be almost as hard as fitting an HDi - I wouldn’t do this).
The problem you have is eventually the car will be awful around town and getting rid of all the sound proofing will not make the car nice at speed either.
After I looked at it for ages I decided that the best rout was to use a standard engine like the HDi and chip it, add a bigger intercooler and a hybrid turbo. This will give a very smooth engine with a small performance gain but should also give slightly better fuel economy.
Andy
Ware is Vanny by the way???
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Stewart You wouldn't have a picture of your bonnet scoop ? Thought I might do the same with my TD ZX.
:)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

email me off forum and I will send an image soon (now wheres that camera)
Stewart
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hi Joe,
yes, the hdi turbo is electronically controlled by a 'bleed' valve from the ecu that regulates vacuum to the actuator (which works the other way round - e.g. more vaccum, more boost) so it cant be directly swapped without changing the actautor also. If i remember its a KKK k03 unit. Not very big as I bought one planning to do all this and then decided it was too small anyway.
You can change the compresor on the Garrett t2 for one from a Nissan silvia for a 1mm upgrade, but otherwise for both the KKK and Garrett you are looking at an expensive Hybrid (£450+). Much cheaper to find a good turbo with new technology (like ballbearing) of a similar/slightly larger size and either mount it to the standard manifold (cheap) or get a manifold made (also ££). Then modify the downpipe to meet the existing exhaust.
With regards to the intercooler, im sorry but the xantia one is just pants in many respects.
You could get one of the allard ones (expensive) on ebay or get them to do a full install. Best thing is to get a single-pass cooler that you can front mount that is at least as big as the standard top-mount and you will be good for 20psi at least.
The other option is to spend the money and time on getting the engine freshened up, recon injectors and pump, get kkk turbo, tune boost (18-20psi) and fuelling via pump and i/c water spray in standard position and expect a much faster, stronger engine that will pull hard all day and still acheive 40mpg. If you do this and still want more, well then you have a great starting point for a front mount and different turbo (which in terms or power increase per pound is less).
HTH