1.9d XUD idle speed ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Seamster15
My Cars:

1.9d XUD idle speed ???

Post by Seamster15 »

Hi,
my Xud idles at 1000rpm, but my friends ZX 1.9d of the same year idles at 900rpm. Whats the norm ?
Also under acceleration my cars engine sounds really tinny, I have checked the exhaust and it seems not to be blowing.
any idea's ?
cheers
Simon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Warm diesels should idle low. Some 800-900 revs.
At cold they should have fast idle some 1100 revs.
look if your engine has a cylindrical device with a bowden cable to the diesel distibutor pump. This would be your coldstart device responsible for idle revs.
Diesel coldstart device
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

the idle should be between 8-900 rpm.if yours is around 1000rpm there might be a problem developing? ie:cold start device faulty,seized linkeage or throttle damper partially seized.it might be worth checking these items before you tinker with the diesel pump!!
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

Many thanks! it sounds as if the cold start is faulty, I checked the linkage and throttle damper today, they all seem good.
I will check the coldstart device at the weekend.
Cheers
Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Our 94 1.9D with Roto-diesel pump idles hot at 750 dead on and fast at 950 after a couple of minutes. I have left it alone as there is no reason to adjust anything.
jeremy
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

My cold start idle advance had siezed on the pump on my 1.9td xantia sticking at 1100 revs. I forced the idle arm on the pump back to hot(750 rpm) and the car runs fine cold, about ten seconds of lumpyness then sweet as a nut. I just hold the revs at 1300 for about 5 seconds with my foot then it idles perfectly even down at -7.
roypch

Post by roypch »

Hi
New to this excellent forum! My 1.9 td xantia also idles at 1100 revs when hot. The linkage/idle arm is stuck. Is there any danger in leaving things as is ?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The cold fast idle device on these engines almost NEVER works. I've had about 12 XUD engines of various guises over the years, and not a single one has had a working fast idle device. The best advice is to allow the bowden cable to go slack, and just adjust the idle speed so that it doesn't shake the car to pieces when cold, and doesn't sound hurried when hot. I have always managed to achieve this without a working fast idle device.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My '97 Xantia idles at the correct speeds hot and cold.
Getting the cold idle to work correctly isn't rocket science.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

..but does mean buying a new cold idle device. I am a stingy git, and won't spend money if I don't have to. My XUD9TE engine idles at 750ish when cold and 850ish when hot, without the use of the cold idle device, which I why I can't recommend spending the cash on a new one, when the engine will cope just fine without it.
Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

My 98 xantia 1.9td has some sort of vacuum operated cold start device.......which surprise suprise.....does'nt work.Nothing like the one in the haynes manual anyway.
I've just screwed the fast idle adjustment screw in,to push the lever onto the regular idle screw (750'ish rpm),...........no problems starting or running........but i am now visiting the diesel station a lot less than i was [:)]
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The cold start device doesn't just adjust the idle speed, it adjusts the advance too.
Running the car hot with the cold advance or vice versa wont do you any favours.
roypch

Post by roypch »

thanks for the response fastandfurious !
Kowalski - my problem is that the lever is stuck rock solid. There is no way I can move that linkage/idle arm without breaking/bending something ! If the lever was not seized, I would have tried adjusting or even replacing cold start device (that is if it not expensive - car is 1994 xantia with 128k on clock :-) )
Does it do any damage to the engine (running hot idle at 1100 rpm) ?
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Are you sure that the linkage is stuck? They are pretty stiff, I don't think they move by hand, but I was able to lever mine with a screwdriver.
The advance being out will mean your engine will be noisier than it needs to be, fuel economy might not be as good as you'd like too and you'll possibly be down on power. I don't think any damage will happen being a diesel but Citroen designed the engine to run with certain parameters and there are reasons for their decisions.
Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

I know the fast idle device actually alters the pump timing..........the only reason it's there is to make the engine more comfortable when cold,but if you dont notice any difference (which i dont,not in uk climate anyway) with it permanently on regular idle,ie tickover at startup,jerkiness etc.You are far better to have it perm on regular than fast and it certainly wont do any damage.
In an ideal world everything would work perfectly,but judging by the amount of people whose fast idle does'nt work.......citroen's world is far from perfect.