fuel filter on BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

fuel filter on BX

Post by wonderd »

Why is there another fuel filter right before the carburator?
it's not the plastic one, it's a big metal thing with another hose connected to it returning towards the fuel tank????
Can i eliminate it? take it off?
Elad.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I can't see any reason why you couldn't toss it, but usually BXs with carbs need as much filtration as they can get or you end up with trouble due to this black powdery crap getting stuck in the carby jets.
Alan S
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

engine size? year? what size is the filter?
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

I have 1991 tzs, and the filter is the size of a small conserves can
The thing is like this; i have a subaru carb. in my car and i am intending to replace it back to the original weber one.
The problem is that it has a small leak from the bottom of it (the filter) and the car smells kile fuel all the time as addition to the high fuel consumption so i must do something in the next day or two.
I was taking parts off of 2 BX's the other day and i didn't see a filter like mine in any of them (but they were '88 and mine is '91) so i didn't know if it's a must or that somebody put it in because of the subaru carb. .
elad.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

does it have three pipes off it??
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Yes, one going in, second going to the carb. and third looks like going back to the fuel tank
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

from what i can remember citroen only fitted them for a few months,had a few leak before,you should be able to bypass it or buy something similar and cheaply from any motor factor.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

if i toss it, what do i do with the return hose? do i connect it to a different place or just cancel it?
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

you should be able to block it off,the fuel pump has a relief valve in it to stop it from over fuelling
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Well, got rid of it, the car still works so i guess it's good without it...
Elad.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

i have a problem again - now the car takes time to start, even after 5 minutes of rest, it seems like the fuel is not getting to the carb., could it be because of that filter i removed?
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

possibly,put the unit back on and try it for a couple of days.if it starts ok,it looks like youll have to buy a new one!
Jon

Post by Jon »

If I recall correctly, the unit that you refer to is not a fuel filter, but a fuel evaporation device, the reason that it was fitted was that the BX 16/19 petrols with carb were very hard to start when the engine was hot, due to fuel evaporation under the (hot) bonnet. So Citroen introduced a fuel evaporattion cannister on the later models in order to return hot fuel to the tank, where it would cool and be returned to the pump.
They also retrofitted (there was a dealer circular) a similar system using an aftermarket evaporation chamber, which was fitted if a customer complained of hot starting problems. I used one on my 1300cc Ami Super, which I "borrowed" from a BX, it really helped.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Actually you are right, when the car is cold (mornings) it starts immidiatly, i guess i should look for a different one because mine leaks badly.
Thanks,
Elad.
FrankBo
My Cars:

Post by FrankBo »

On my BX Athena 1600 91' (sold in Italy) there are instructions who say
to press totally accelerator pedal when engine is hot. So hot starting runs
well.
95' ZX 1400 Break Avantage 270000 Km 92' BX 1600 Athena 167000 Km