Fixed the BX hissing problem!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

Fixed the BX hissing problem!!!!!!!!

Post by wonderd »

Tihs weekend i decided to fix the hissing problem that was bothering me for a long time...
went to a garage that had 2 1.6l '88 BX's and got myself a PR, a hidraulic pump and a power steering rack (the last item was because mine leaks and the power steering is gone when the engine is idle).
This morning i had a friend help me and we cleaned up the three items i bought (pump,PR and PS rack), making sure we open all the bolts we find, with petrol, then lubricating them with LHM.
After that we took off the PR, that wasn't too hard, (we left all the open hoses to leak into a wide round plastic container), i replaced the old (two months old) sphare on the 'new' PR and then we replaced the PR in it's place - the SOB didn't want to get back up there, the two top hoses did not want to go back in to their mounts on the PR and then the top retaining bolt (the long one) did the same trick - couldn't get the son of a bit. back in.
after we finished that, i found out that one of the T's on the octapus broke and needed to fix that..(damn..),
then i replaced the hidraulic pump with the 'new' one.
At that time most of the day was gone and i still needed to replace the PS rack, went under the car again and surprisingly enough, one of the bolts has a star head, now who the hell would plan to put a bolt as big as this one and use a star head instead of a normal bolt?????? - only those damn french cars.
I tried all kind of ways because ofcourse i didn't have the tool for that, but eventualy i gave up.
Anyways, i started the car, did the citaerobics 6-7 times and i was amazed, the car hissed until it rose up and stopped hissing with a tick! that never happened to me before with this car, could it be it?
is my hissing problem solved??? I THINK SO!!!!!
took the car for a spin around the neighborhood and the car did not hisss, it just clicked with a long interval between clicks!!!!
Stopped the car, engine idle - no lights came on, the car stayed up and no hissing!!!!!!!!
stopped the engine and let it sit for a while, came back - the car is still up!!!!!
<b>I solved the hissing problem in my car along with the car droping too fast, the problem was a weak pump and a faulty PR!!!</b>
Tommorow i will go to a garage to fing that tool that will open the star headed bolt on the PS rack so i can change that one.
Thank you all for your previous help with thos problems of mine.
And sorry for this long topic.
Elad.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

nothing like a good read before you go to bed!!zzzzz.
only jesting!!
good to hear people getting stuck into hydraulic problems, most wouldnt touch a BX with a barge pole these days.
i know it sounds sad,but i used to enjoy replacing front to rear brake/suspension pipes on BXs!!
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Now i am getting a little worried [:D] ;
The car stayed up during the night and then at work most of the day.
It sunk just a little, i guess that it's a good sign...is it??
Elad.