Tow bar on 405 saloon?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dvhttn

Tow bar on 405 saloon?

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Just wondered if the tow bar for a 405 fits onto existing mounting points or drilling is required? If it fits exisitng points anyone got one (with at least single electrics) for sale? Near Berks?
Cheers
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I think from memory as i did 1 on my Dads new 405 K reg (later style)in 1992 that we had to drill the holes out.Most cars from about 97 on had the holes already drilled.On my R 97 the towbar just bolted on.On my Dads P 96 est,we had to drill the holes.Try Towsure for a new one.,i think their on line.Based up North but do good mail order.Had all the towbars i`ve/we have fitted from them.Not that dear,if you cant find a 2nd hand 1.Easy to do,electrics as well.Have fitted about 10 towbars now.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

www.towsure.com
£78!!![:0][:I]
Gone up a bit since i last looked!Better try for a 2nd hand 1.[:)]
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

try the breakers yards. I got one for my 309 with electrics etc for cheap. Straight off another 309, just had to drill the holes.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

www.towsure.com
£78!!![:0][:I]
Gone up a bit since i last looked![:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Quite! All thanks to EU regs.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Managed to get a tow bar off a scrapped 405 today - £20 with single electrics. Needs a good power sanding with a wire brush and several coats of hammerite but what are evenings for .... :-)
Anyhow, I took it into the garage earlier and think I may well have forgotten something. It was bolted on with 3 bolts either side. Two of these exist on my saloon but the 3rd doesn't. It goes through the rectanular cross-section chassis member that ends near the rear bumper. Hope you know what I mean ... I noticed that on the 405 I removed the bar from there were spacers through the hole in the chassis. Mine has no holes so no spacers.
The question is, did the spacers come with the two bar just for that purpose? The reason I ask is that it was an oldr car than mine and as mine has no holes drilled I presume that this didn't either ...
No problem as I should be able to go back tomorrow and get them.
Thanks for any help
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

It's OK. Answered my own question. Went back and there were two spacers that fit through the holes drilled in the chassis so you don't crush the chassis when tightening the bolts ....
Cheers