205 Petrol Cuts out

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan8181

205 Petrol Cuts out

Post by alan8181 »

Hi,
I have been having a problem with my K reg petrol 205 (carb) ever since I had a mechanic change spark plugs/air filter/ distributor cap/starter motor.
The car starts fine but can cut out when the revs drop, esp dropping from 4th 40mph to 3rd 30 mph and 3rd 30mph to 20mph or less. It always restarts again. At junctions it can also cut out. You feel a judder and the battery light flashes on, sometimes power comes back but not always.
Anyway, this has been going on for two months. For the last two weeks (I'm in UK) we have had very cold weather yet the car has been fine.
But today, it was wet and damp rather than freezing cold and the car cut out after approx 3 miles (after being on 60-70mph roads).
So, I have noted that the problem is much more likely during damp weather. You can feel a loss of power and a judder if you try and accelerate and if the revs then drop, cut out can occur.
Does this point to anything particular? The mechanic has had it back twice but each time the problem has not happened for him. He's cleaned the carb out and is now questioning the fuel system but how can this explain it running fine for 2 weeks?
Thanks for your advice,
Alan
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

there are a few things to look at,make sure the slow running jet is clear on the side of the carb,check that the distributor cap,the carbon brush tends to burn out on the TU series engines.make sure the hot spot pipe is intact that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air filter.this will stop the cold air from freezing the fuel before it gets into the engine.
Dan205

Post by Dan205 »

When mine did this it was solved by tightening the seal on the air cleaner that goes into the carb. Problem solved!