This is the last straw

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

This is the last straw

Post by oscarloco »

January 2004 Found a leak in the radiator. Fixed for a while then started leaking again. Today, it still leaks and I haven't been able to fix it for good.
March 2004 One cooling fan seized, fixed.
August 2004 Broken driveshaft dustboot, fixed.
October 2004 Broken speedometer cable, fixed.
December 2004 Timing belt replacement. Mechanic found a worn engine mount. Fixed
January 2005 Exhaust broke. Fixed it, broke again. Haven't fixed it yet.
Last saturday, while driving near my office, the crankshaft pulley damper died. Made an awful sound, then charge light came on and lost hidraulic assitance for the steering. Lifted the car, removed the wheel and looked at the pulley with the rubber bushing gone. Had to leave the car at the office and ask for a ride. I was going to see some things for my wedding so my girlfriend and my mother in law where coming.
Bought the pulley today, cost me about US$100. That was the last straw. If someone wants to make lemonade, I have a lemon (red).
I'm selling my ZX.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Not too much luck then. You shouldn't give up so easiley.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Err, is that all[:0] Some guys on here would be glad of so few problems[:o)][B)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Seriously I don't think you have much to grumble about. At the very least your ZX must be about 8 years old and if you've been putting off replacing a leaking radiator for over a year now then you have been very lucky that the whole engine hasn't expired. Driveshaft boots speedo cables and broken engine mounts are all relatively minor annoyances as are exhausts.
When you find the replacement for the Zx that will run for ever and cost nothing please let us know. If you can find one that needs the surplus fuel draining from its tank every week as well that would be even better!
jeremy
pavesa
My Cars:

Post by pavesa »

Huh you were lucky, now when I were a lad...
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

It gets worse, the local Citroen dealer only imports spares for the new models: C2, C3 and Picasso. The old dealer has some parts left but not many. And the Peugeot dealer charges about 60% more than the real price of the parts! They wanted about US$ 160 for the damper.
The radiator goes for about US$400 and there is also a rattle in the suspension that I suspect is one of the roll bar balljoints.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Sounds like you'll be pricing up a Toyota Corolla.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Citroen designed cars to last 10 years at most... well certainly the electrics of the late 1980/mid 1990s (XM, Xantia switches etc). I don't see why a ZX should be any better:-(
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Well it that is true, then I should check the expiration date on my car :)
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I wish I could get off with as few problems as yourself! Ive spent over £1000 in 6 months on my car (nearer £1500) so I cant see what your complaining about...
...Ok £700 of that was an un-necissary engine replacement, when all I needed was a radiator, but hey!
Set of alloy wheels with good tyres: £110 (steelies had bald tyres)
New Alternator belt tensioner £25
Radiator : £70
Engine Replacement £700
New Discs and Pads £70
New Wheel Cylinders £45
New Rear Shoes £15
New Hand Brake Cable £6.50
Another New Alternator belt tensioner £25
Another set of alloy wheels due to ice and kerb with good tyres £165
New trye as one new alloy had tyre with screw in it £65
3 oil changes @ £30 each
drop link £20
Clutch £300
Non essential parts:
Rear Spoiler £50
Mud Flaps £20
Wishbone and wheel alignment £115 (due to ice and kerb)
That all comes in at £1688.50 and im sure theres a load of stuff il have missed off..
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

To check if over due or too old, gently squeeze at about mid point. If you can feel no resistance then it's over ripe.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Having nothing to loose, I decided to try Bar's radiator stop leak to fix the rad and the heater core. I did a reverse flushing to the sytem first and then added half of the contents of the bottle. Surprise, all leaks fixed and no overheating problems! I guess my ZX might overheard me talking about getting rid of it...