Fine yesterday suddenly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kafkaian

Fine yesterday suddenly

Post by kafkaian »

Tried to start mine this morning (-5 in Brum - 18V SX Petrol) and seemed to want to go but nothing before the battery went dead.
Took the morning off, got the battery out and re-charged, loads of turn over torque, but alas there seems to be no fuel.
Reset the inertia cut-off just in case - no avail
Car was running fine before this latest cold spell. Any ideas before I start looking into injectors, ignition problems et al. Usual things looked at, fuel tank's full.
Is this the time to scrap my trusted p reg? I was looking into a diesel C5
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Oh well. Anyone want a Xantia for spares? Hydraulics recently overhauled. Nice car other than it won't start - for the moment at least [:(!][xx(][:(] The trouble is I can't get the car off the road to work on it. Situated on a dangerous and busy B-road
Ian looks for crying smiley
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

How can you be sure fuel is reaching the injectors ?
- got heavy smell of unburnt petrol from exhaust ?
Last winter we had a DK- BX owner who could not start his BX under similar conditions, I.e worked perfect day before, but not in moderate frost.
His problem was a bit of water in the tank which has collected as ice around pickup pipe and filter in the tank - clogging the fuel pickup.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Hi Anders
I can't be sure I know but I can't smell anything to be honest. Clean as a whistle. So knackered fuel pump perhaps? That's immersed in the fuel tank isn;t it?
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I'm not sooo depressed now because I have a loan of a diesel xantia for a couple of days. Allows me to have a look
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If the battery has run flat over night you may need to re set the alarm or immobiliser. This will allow the car to turn over but not start. Check before any thing else.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

If the battery has run flat over night you may need to re set the alarm or immobiliser. This will allow the car to turn over but not start. Check before any thing else.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Stuart but I assumed that if I could enter my keypad code and get a green light everything would be okay. Is this not the case then? If so, how do I reset it? My old code lets me get through on the keypad
[?]Confused I am [:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You got me there mate. Nothing in the owners manual? It was a stab in the dark as it sounds like the proplem your having. Never ownwed one with the key pad myself.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

when you are turning it over try spraying easistart into the air intake......if it fires and runs for a few seconds you know you have a fueling problem....if it wont turn over on easistart its probably electrical
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Well after a couple of hours yesterday WD40ing the electrical connections, checking the ignition, fuel pump (massive delivery) and blowing out the air intake ducts et al, I finally got the thing to run. It started tentatively at first but after about ten minutes idling and "re-learning", the outcome was a smooth tickover, a consistent start and a very clean and clear exhaust.
Any ideas? Blocked high pressure fuel lines / injectors?
I still get a dip when accelerating at about 1000 revs.
Anyway, over to "Sid" for an entire overhaul/service and then hopefully through the MOT for another 9 months of service before I finally do sell.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Sounds like iced up manifold/injectors /fuel line to me...
When was the fuel filter last changed?
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by madasafish</i>

Sounds like iced up manifold/injectors /fuel line to me...
When was the fuel filter last changed?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Was done at about 50k (now on 80k) so on the edge.
Will put this on the list. Thanks for reminding me [:D]