BX Subframe bent:is a repair possible?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

BX Subframe bent:is a repair possible?

Post by adamskibx »

I was thinking about replacing my BX subframe, but first I would have to find one and purchase it, possibly remove it off another car, and then fit it which seems like too much effort for a £200 BX that I will soon be selling or scraping for parts. If I could fix it, however, I could sell it on while being honest about what has happened to it. Basically, after hitting a rock that bent the front wheel, blew out a tyre and bent the subframe slightly, the car pulls off to the left fractionally in the same way that early Mondeo's did. It will, for example, if you let go of the wheel move 1 metre to the left every 200 metres at a guese so its hardly noticable. The suspention arm is OK as is the trackrod and all the other steering stuff so if I was to somehow jig the subframe back until the steering wheel pointed straight ahead again would it be OK to use? The bearing holder that holds the ani-roll bar bearing has broken away but that looks as though it would be easy to replace. My method for doing this would be to get a 6+ meter long very strong pole wedged in the subframe/steering arm assembly and use something to push it so it bent the subframe back. Please let me know if you think this is an insane idea. Thanks, Adam
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Subframe swap is far easier than it looks, search the forum, this popped up a few weeka ago.
Stewart
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I think the "normal" BX subframe will go on that one, as it's not the "suitcase" 1360 engine. I've got one attached to an XUD within 40 miles of Portsmouth!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Wow that sounds interesting. My engine is the 1360cc one but its the later type 1.4 car which im told has the same subframe as all the other BX's. I was told it was the early Bx 14'S with the pushrod engine that had a unique subframe to that car. If you think it will fit i will definately be interested in it. Alternatively ill find out about compatibility. Cheers, Adam
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Whn you say its attatched to an 'XUD' im not sure what car you mean. These letters ring a bell but I cant think. Is it a type of Pergeot? Cheers, Adam.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Sorry Paul I dont think I was very clear about my engine type. It is the 1360cc 'TU' engine (cambelt overhead cam) used in the later cars as well as in 205's, ZX's and the 306. It is a J reg 1991. Just thought; is the 'XUD' the type of engine the early cars had? If it is compatible and you dont need it ill be interested 100%. Cheers
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

XUD refers to the 1765 and 1905cc diesel engines.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers Dave thats good news.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

If you want some pictures for referance, like where stuff sits etc on the sub frame, give me a shout, as I've got my engine out at the moment with clear views of the sub frame etc.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The diesels and the 1.9/1.6 variants have extra brackets, they will fit, its only difficult the other way.
Stewart
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks Dave and Stewart. Yes a picture or two would be great Dave. I have sent you an e mail but the spam filters may have got it. Thanks, Adam
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

DLM: I have also sent you an e mail about your subframe so it may well be in the spam bit if you have a filter. Adam