Rear disc renewal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

den
My Cars:

Rear disc renewal

Post by den »

I'm intending to replace the rear discs and pads on my Xantia. I've read the Haynes bible and it would appear to be fairly straight forward[?]I've also checked the various threads here on the forum and have noted everyone elses experiences of doing the job. One question remains. According to Haynes once the caliper bolts are out you can support the caliper with string etc or rebolt it temporarily to the arm until the disc has been replaced. Is it ok to do this? Will there be any strain on the pipe. Does the pipe need to be removed. If the pipe was left in place there surely wouldn't be any need to bleed the brakes. I'd appreciate advice on this.
Den
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The object of tying the calliper out of the way etc is to avoid bleeding it. You do whatever seems necessary to avoid straining the pipe.
Make sure you remove 2 screws securing the disc. Sometimes one is disguised as a wheel locating stud - it unscrews!
Jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Don't worry-the brake pipes are a lot more flexible than they at first appear, and to change the disc you only have to move the calliper about 2 inches anyway-I sling them from the hatch struts on a bungee as there's not a lot else to tie them to!!
den
My Cars:

Post by den »

Thanks for the replies, I'll now attempt the job with enthusiasm [:D]
Den