306 Water pipe blocked

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueagle78
My Cars:

306 Water pipe blocked

Post by blueagle78 »

I've got 95 306 XTDT and from last couple of weeks the heaters and temperature guage were playing up. I've been told it might be air locked in radiator pipes and my mechanic friend told me to remove the radiator cap and loose one screw (on a black water pipe) turn the fan to full and then switch the car on. I did it and I wasn't getting any water coming out of the screw hole which I loosed even when I removed the screw completly. I've got the feeling something is definitely blocking the water but don't know how to find out.
Any suggestions or is there any liquid which I can run through the radiator to clear off all the blockage?
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

The correct procedure for filling and bleeding the cooling system has been described umpteen times on this forum, so have a search and follow that procedure to ensure you haven't got any airlocks.
If that doesn't help, it may be an idea to try flushing out the system. I believe the best way is to remove the top and bottom hoses from the radiator (and the thermostat) and stick a hosepipe up the bottom hose and give the whole thing a good flush to remove any crap.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueagle78</i>

my mechanic friend told me to remove the radiator cap and loose one screw (on a black water pipe) turn the fan to full and then switch the car on.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Eh? Some friend! All that will do is let more air into the system making your problem worse (and what's that about putting the fan on all about?!). You need to bleed the system with a header tank, check the archives for details like Batwad says. The job isn't hard.
Don't ignore this problem, or you could cause serious damage to your engine.