205 drivetrain noise

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andiroow

205 drivetrain noise

Post by andiroow »

Hi,
I have a '92 205 diesel. It has been producing a horrid rumbling and vibration from the drivetrain area. It is very difficult to pinpoint the location of the problem. The rumble is audible, in a straight line, at 25mph and gets louder as speed increases. The noise is accentuated when I turn left, at speed, but disappears when I turn right. I checked both front wheel bearings. I couldn't find anything wrong. I change the offside wheel bearing, as a matter of course, but there was no difference. I changed the offside driveshaft completely, and that made no difference either. I haven't touched the nearside drivetrain...yet. I'm confused as to what could be the cause.
Any help please? [:)]
andiroow

Post by andiroow »

I'm replying to my own topic as I thought it might be helpful to anyone else experiencing the same symptoms as me.
Very recently the noise from the drivetrain got quite severe.
When I raised the front of the car, the nearside front wheel bearing had significant play in it. Upon replacing the bearing the vibration & noise had completely dissapeared.
What a result!![:D]
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Just to say I had the same problems recently with a 205 and the same sorts of noises. No detectale play in the bearings BUT one was shot. You need to spin the wheel and try to detect any sounds of roughness. Tricky if you don't know what a good one sounds like though ....
Cheers